The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, added my live rock 3 days ago to my new tank was just wondering when I would see a spike in ammonia. Read about adding a dead shrimp is that needed? Also can the filter affect the cycle. Not impatient just curious

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
No the live rock will do the shrimps job, um what do you meant by filter, a sump, hang on back or canister? You may have already had the spike and are on nitrites test for that instead. Oh and no a filter cannot affect a cycle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the live rock will do the shrimps job, um what do you meant by filter, a sump, hang on back or canister? You may have already had the spike and are on nitrites test for that instead. Oh and no a filter cannot affect a cycle
Na don't think I've had the spike yet I've tested for it going to wait for a bit see what happens.

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Id say test in about 3 weeks and see if you read any thing... then if youre reading ammonia or nitrites.. your still cycling....
Testing after only 3 days is just wasting tests and $.. You know the tank is going to cycle.. and already stated you arent in a hurry.. so why test for the inevitable? just saying it isnt necessarry after only 3 days.. save your test kits for when you will need them.. Worrying about the cycles "starts" isnt nearly as important as when it "ends"

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do not try to cycle your tank with a damsel, please. Just wait it out with the live rock. My tank took about 2 or 3 weeks. Just be patient

1 - 7 of 7 Posts