The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after dragging my heals for almost a year now building the stand, drilling the tank, plumbing and running electrical i finally added salt to it this evening 4/21/21

Tank is a standard 40b from petco, nothing special. Has a under gravel filter running in reverse by a tunze pump, yes i know it's not American made but it's not Chinese made. Sump is a 29 gal tank i added baffles to

Duel return pumps one tunze and one reef octopus, unfortunately the RO is china made but didn't know that when i bought it but will not buy again.

The heart of the tank is a ApexEl running most everything.

Water movement is provided by the return pumps and a mp40. Might add my mp10 to it if i take down the 24 nano but dont plan on it. So might have to buy some other power head.

lights will be a pair of t5 and a Radion xr15 in a custom hood i have yet to start on.

building a dyi algae scrubber about half way done with it.

No room for a traditional skimmer so looking at a tunze nano skimmer but will more then likely dyi something to fit just where i want it to.

thats pretty much it. Im slow going with it so no telling when the next update will be haha.
Wood Rectangle Window blind Hardwood Window
Wood Rectangle Window blind Hardwood Window Rectangle Wood Gas Font Automotive exterior Product Wood Font Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rock of course will come from Dan at live gulf rock. I’ll get them ordered after the wife is home for the summer so she can get them in water when they get here.

·
Administrator
16,837 Posts
Ooooooooooo, a new tank build!🤔👍🙂 🍿🍺

What's your plans for it Matt, a reef? Looking forward to THIS....glad you finally got it going.
Hack

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it will be a mixed reef lps/sps hopefully with some mushrooms floating around here and there.

·
Administrator
16,837 Posts
COOL! I just had a real fiasco this time around with my usual shipments. Priority mail 2-3 day that's always been delivered in 2 days took 4 days. I understand the Mushrooms turned to snot, but some of the GSPs and Kenyas made it.

Till the world gets back to 'normal', if I ship anything, it's simply got to be USPS OVER NIGHT, and sadly I'll have to ask for the postage ....never had to do THAT before.
Hack

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the poor usps just isn't what they once were. I come from a long line of letter carriers too. Grandfather worked there after WW2 and retired, Dad worked there after nam, mom worked there for 30 years and aunt was a post master for the state of Minnesota for many years and they all would be ashamed of what it has become. Anyways off my soap box.

Matt

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Whiskey, yeah i wanted to keep all of the electrical away from the humidity especially the apex. Unfortunately it all didn't fit so some is routed unto the back. Also with the tank being so small
I was able to add castors to the stand. I was able to reinforce the stand to the point where it wont flex but man is it heavy.

Correct on both account. The one return pump is plugged into the apex and the other one plugged into the remote GFCI outlet built into the stand. The same will go with the second powerhead. I wanted a ATO but this was the only way i could figure out how to get one easily.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,947 Posts
It's a much better plan then I have right now! I have a 5G jug sitting beside my tank for ATO. Granted it's temporary until I get it plumbed into the back but that's still a sweet idea building it into the sump like that! If I do a tank with a sump in the future that won't be plumbed in I'm going to seriously consider that!

The dual return pumps are a great idea too! I keep wanting to do that and not following through because of lack of space, or lack of funds, or something. It's a single point of failure that would take allot of systems offline if it failed.

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i stole the idea of having a ato built into the sump from the icecap sump tanks, I'm just too cheap to spend that much on a sump. I spent $60 on this one. 29gal tank and 20 long both from $1 gal sale. Took the 20l apart for baffles, cut it with my tile saw as i suck at snapping glass. A can of black paint and a tube of silicone. Added a piece of the black frame from the 20l to the baffle for the ato section so i can add a cover to help with evaporation.

So was talking to a electrician and he suggested me do something like this to allow you to have multiple gfci without running 2 dedicated lines. So there standard gfci outlets with 12/3 12' cords attached plugged into the wall. The purpose is so i can have the tank broke up into two sections in case one of the gfci trips the tank doesn't completely go down. The apex will be on one gfci which will run half the tank including 1 return pump, 1 power head, 1 heater and the t5 lighting. Plugged into the other gfci will be a power strip running the other half of the tank, return pump, power head, heater and led lighting.

Matt

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh shoot look at that we have ammonia cycle starting with the crushed coral and sand bed. Didn't have any fresh shrimp laying around but did have some clams in the fridge. So wondered if i could start a cycle with it and yes you can. I dropped it in yesterday so that was fast.

·
Administrator
16,837 Posts
WooooHooooooo! 👍
Hack

·
Administrator
16,837 Posts
......That's not how you spell 'WooooooWhooooooo' now is it?
Hack

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Matt, that is very cool. But Paul B doesn't have a sump. They just weren't invented when he set the thing up. :D

Good luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts