The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Camera now working (well amost) .... on the top are the pics of the plate frags that we discussed earlier. The loose plates grew and fell off the "frag tree" pictured on the bottom. The "frag tree" as I call it was where aquatic wildlife broke up the dying frag and glued pieces of it to this "stump".

In the place where the ones fell off, new ones have grown back. It's pretty amazing. The re-grown plates are about nickel size now and should fall off soon if they follow the timeframe of the first 4 that fell off.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dale that is totally awesome. And the the plate tree is one of a kind. I can't wait to get mine at the Tuesday meeting. I will have a space down in the sand cleared and ready for him. We'll get him in the tank as soon as you get there and hopefully he'll come out before I have to pack it back up to go home.

See you at the meeting

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that settles that one. All four will have new homes and hopefully we'll keep regenerating this species over and over. MarkV gets only one now - we weren't for sure, lol.... you get the other one as we had discussed.... :beer:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very cool pics! That looks to be a short tentacle plate, fungia. That's a good thing as they are more hardy. I used to have one that was about 8 inches in diameter, that would spawn anually. Squirting a little mysid shrimp on them and watching them stuff their mouth with it is a cool thing!:)

Can't wait to pick mine up!:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys,
I bought a Fungia that was split in half, with babies on one half. After four months there are about eight big babies on the skeleton. I hear people say they will fall off on their own, but some of them are a good 2" across. Sorry I missed Calfo, but please let me know his take on these things. I will attach a pic that is a few weeks old.

Thanks for any info,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi david, I'm not sure that this is always the case, but mine did just fall off. They were helped though just a bit. The "tree" fell from it's position higher up in the tank to the bottom where there was a spot of high flow. I think they released themselves in this high flow and drifted to a lower flow section of the tank. Just an observation for you...

great picture BTW!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
OK I took a tape measure to it and I was lieing --- only 1 3/4" when fully open :D

Honestly it is one of the nicer corals in my Minibow.

I was also lieing the other day --- not 32 different types of corals but 33 :eek:

ANd that new hydnophora I got from Mafiaman is also kickin-butt --- unfortunatly there are some zoo's that are a little close that arn't really likeing him --- oh well thats there problem now.

Also next time somebody comes over with a digital camera I'll get pics of eveything.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No food for mine. He eaither scrounges from whats in the tank or will starve and die. I am just not willing to feed the tank anything --- ever ---- period. But with no fish or shrimp or anything my pod population is huge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.