The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I primarily use Emperor or Penguin products for "maintaining" my aquariums. They used to be good at getting rid of ammonia and nitrites in a tank. However over the last week or so I had both manifolds crack on my emperor 400's. Both went out at the same time (rather odd I think). Next of all, if you do need a part they charge an arm and a leg for shipping even if the thing is still under warranty.

So needless to say I was told that it would take 4-5 days to get the part. This was last Monday. Saturday rolls around and still nothing. So I call on Monday. The 7 dollar an hour rep tells me that he is sorry - but they forgot to mail it out so he will overnight it. Today rolls around, my ammonia has spiked (completely different tank then my 55), and I have lost half of my livestock in this one tank. I call Marineland back and the guy tells me this "I am sorry, but they sent it out yesterday 3 day USPS so you wont get it till tomorrow". Meanwhile I asked what is going to be done about my fish because it was now the third time that I was lied too. He said that he just didnt care about the deaths and they were not marinelands fault.

USPS DOES NOT GUARANTEE THREE DAY DELIVERY ON THEIR PRIORITY MAIL!!! In the mean time I could have transfered all of my livestock to the LFS (the owner offered) or to a friends tank. Instead I chose to believe Marineland and am pulling dead things out of my tank every other day. Bottom line is I WOULD NOT purchase their products again. If you havent had a problem with your Marineland product, pray that you dont in the future or you will end up paying 60+ dollars to get something overnighted to your house if it is your primary source of filtration.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
That sucks. I try to have back up skimmers and pumps if I can, you never know when a thing will stop working on you. How is the tank doing?

·
Retired Wanderer
17,215 Posts
Let's step back a minute and relax a little.

I am new at this but come back off that ledge my friend and let's work this out with the TRT team. The first thing to do is get everyone calmed down and try to mediate this with the vendor and get the best possible resolution for you.

I do know that removal of filtration media is not going to kill off your tank. Using those contraptions is not going to remove ammonia or other parts further down the cycle. That is a natural biological and chemical reaction that is best buffered by live rock. Do you have some other sources of flow like powerheads or a plain old return pump. If so then keep it running.

UPS is exceptional..they are top flight for first or second day delivery and I would push for them.

Try and list every parameter you can and we will help you out. Tank age...what is in there and how much live rock you have is good. In the meanwhile limit feeding and do a water change or two.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nu-uh. I was lied to by them and their employees. Prime cant even seem to keep my ammonia under control right now. My parameters are way out of the range of help. As for USPS, if you call or go in, THEY even tell you to your face that they dont guarantee it will be there in three days. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt. Bottom line is that marineland sucks. The employee sat there and didnt even care about my losses. I am in no way writing this in anger either. All I know is that Marineland will pay for every single penny that I have lost. Once a company employee tells you of a delivery type or date, that becomes a verbal binding contract. And these clowns are going to cover every single thing that happened to my tank. I am even including the hardier fish that made it, but became sluggish. May sound dumb, but I guarantee that "pain and suffering of an animal" is part of an SPCA regulations they Marineland was knowing they should have maintained. You try losing 90% of your tank because of someone elses fault and see if you arent peeved at them.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Not so sure openly bashing a company is exactly what we are all about either. I can defiantely understand your frustration, but a filter doesnt realy filter anything anyway, it just traps it. So, as Perry said, list all the info as there may be something else to consider. If so well find it!

R

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The info is off the charts. I am dosing with so much Prime right now it isnt even funny. My house would probably explode if someone lit a match, LOL, because of all of sulfur smell. Bottom line is that If you ring out your poly-filter once a day after soaking it in vinegar water and your tank is running 4 bio-wheels that all break - you are going to have the "bad chemicals" go up. Period. My tank was not that old so the TINY and I mean SMALL amount of rock and sand was not doing much of anything. However the bio-wheels were doing A LOT based on the color and odor. Wanna see what it caused?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
How long have the filters been down and do you run a skimmer? That would help you a lot with the high ammonia.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome, and no offense, but why didn't you buy a cheap HOT mechanical filter from WalMart right away? You could have transfered the media to it and been back in shape until the part arrived. Bacteria in most filters will begin to die in as little as four hours without power. I understand your disappointment with the company - I would be the same, but to sit and stew while you're fish are dying of ammonia poisoning is negligence on your part.

KG

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Have you done any water changes? that is a fix. Instead of adding a bunch of chemicals that build up and arent being processed, do some water changes. get the crap out of there. Sounds like your just adding to the problem. Do like a 25% water change and then test. As neede do another the next day. That would have helped save some of your animals. the more crap you dump in the tank that you cant test for is just buyilding up and not going anywhere. Be mad sure. But work on saving the tank. getting pissed wont help it. Niether will any company. It takes your action to save the lives of the animals. If you sit and wait for someone else to do something nothing wilkl improve.

R

R

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Lets keep this a little more civil. :wavey:
All my experences with marineland products have been exceptional, seems like you unfortunately got a few defective products and less than satisfactory customer service. I can understand why you would be mad.

Tell us some more about your setup, water params, stocking; maybe we can all help you to get everything stable again.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There ya go aint this a beaut'

WORK IT FOR THE CAMERA TANK!!! SHOW DADDY THOSE BIG PEARLY WHITES!!! Oh wait, their covered with diatoms and other algae outbreaks after a week. Sad thing is that these were all trying be taken directly through the glass and it smells like eggs in here now.

Attachments

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, ok. So many questions. My ammonia is off the scale. I physically ran out of drops. I am dealing with about 20 lbs of LR that has all bleached in the last week. My AquaC Remora needs to be emptied once an hour. I could not find a local distributor that would carry the product that I needed to turn the bio-wheels and did not have time (obviously) to physical new biological media. I trusted Marineland, and was screwed over, Period. The reason that I did not go through a tremendous amount of trouble, was because I trusted the employees for that company. Also on some of the other sites I posted this on, I am getting responses of other people that hate that company also.

Also I have been doing water changes. 6 water changes in 8 days to be exact. All over 20%.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Are you more woriied about the company or your tank? Forget the company for now and fix the tank you are worried about. judging by what you have told us it sounds like you have other issues going on other than just afilter problem. What was the bioload? What did you add to the tank and how often> how much and how often did you feed? What are your husbandry habits? If all that went south in a week, it was just waiting an open window IMO. Algae needs food and the food was there already I bet, just neede that extra help of no filtration. What is your photoperiod and type of lighting?

R

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Substarte and cleaning schedule? yes these are alot of questions but you can save the rest of your tank. We just need the inbfo. But for sure you should an immediate water change. Give us the goods and well get you back on track. Worry about the company later. Tank is priority!

R

1 - 20 of 60 Posts