The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently moved and have a 10 year-old 120 gallon reef tank that I will re-establishing in our new home. Due to the age of the tank and the problems with moving, I have decided to get a new tank and start from scratch.

I really like the Marineland Deep Dimension 150g cube, at 36 x 36, it seems to offer some really cool aquascaping options - and the cabinetry is very nice as well.

I'm trying to figure out where to place the tank - and think I have a good location, but wanted advice. We live in a new post and beam home, so this corner is right over some large beams in the basement - should be good from a load perspective. There is one window, but the tank won't get direct sunlight in this corner. There is also a wood buring stove in the room, but it will be 5-6 feet from the tank (you can see it in the edge of the picture) - I assume this will be OK .... but what are everyone's thoughts?

Lastly, I'd like to go with LEDs on this tank, and the Aquailluminations SOL look like a great option. I was thinking about the 3 unit package to light this tank - with the potential to add a 4th down the road if needed for more SPS.

Alright - I'll stop rambling now - thanks for any advice.

Pat

Attachments

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I think it will be great there. I like the idea of LEDs over the tank, and I think, depending on what your coral preference is, you could go with just 2 of the SOL's.

Something to keep in mind when converting over to more efficient lighting and pumps (in general), is that you are adding less heat to the tank via those devices, and the tank will run significantly cooler. So cool sometimes, in fact, that a heater may become necessary. Just something to keep in mind. I personally do not like heaters, and do not use them. I prefer to let things that actually do work, heat my tank (pumps and such)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts