The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know I am about to get a lot of stick for this but I am going to ask anyway as I need help - urgently. I purchased a Black Tang 4 days ago and he is gorgeous. I should have quarantined, I know but he was the first fish in the tank and was going to be one of very few to go in!

on Monday (today is now Wednesday as I write this) he was spotless. Cut to today (Wednesday) he is absolutely plastered in white spots. I have some experience with white spot but never Marine Velvet. I have attached a photo of this fish on Monday and a photo of it today, just 2 days on.

I need to know, does this look like ich or velvet? I have some cupramine and I am going to treat him in a hospital tank - hopefully it is not too late. I haven’t noticed any swimming into powerheads, I haven’t actually seen him flashing and he had a good appetite but seems to have lost that a bit as the day has gone on.

Thank you and I apologise for having to see such a beautiful and expensive fish in such a state. I am desperate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
If you can see spots its more then likely ich. Velvet seems more like a dust to the naked eye to me. But then again I believe I'm going blind so..... its hell getting old. Plus tangs are very prone to ich.
Go look over on humblefish site he has lots of information about it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can see spots its more then likely ich. Velvet seems more like a dust to the naked eye to me. But then again I believe I'm going blind so..... its hell getting old. Plus tangs are very prone to ich.
Go look over on humblefish site he has lots of information about it.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I hope it’s Ich. A bad situation in either case but velvet is just too ferocious. I can see spots but if I’m honest there’s THOUSANDS of them. Not sure the photo does it any justice. They are definitely spots though, just that there’s a lot of them.

the thing that concerns me is the pace in which he has gone from no visible spots to infested in 2 days. That is what makes me think Velvet.

Almost £1000 on a fish for it to be infested in parasites 3 days post purchase. My own fault really for not quarantining but ouch.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Well what ive seen happen is lots of fish stores will have the fish in a low dose of copper, usually between 1-1.25ppm which doesn’t kill the ich but just keeps the fish from showing symptoms. Then when you take them home into your tank with no copper the ich or velvet shows itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts