The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently had my eye on the marine betta to go in a predator reef. I know they dont eat corals, but they do eat inverts with the exception of anenomes and they also eat small fish. Anyway whats the overall behavior of this fish. Does it swim around or does it just chill in a corner somwhere waiting for food. I also hear that they are supposed to be disease resistant and very hardy so thats a plus. Any general info on it is greatly appreciated. thanx

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I don't remember where I saw the info but I thought they are a shy fish that hides alot. I could be completely wrong though Sorry not much help

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Thats been my experience with them in the shop, they dont do well with really aggressive fish like triggers, tho I have seen them co exist with smaller lions

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
They're a member of the grouper family. Very docile, very shy. Very hardy. No they don't do well with the likes of aggressive angels (larger species), but in most circumstances with peaceful fish they do just fine.

I used to have one in my 120 that could be staring right at you from his hidey hole and unless you knew where to spot him, you'd never see him. However when you stood a few feet back from the tank and he thought nobody was looking, he'd come out and splay his fins - pretty.

They are a risk with small ornamental shrimp - but having said that I have kept them with cleaner shrimp with no problems - as long as the shrimp was there first and it's a decent size. Start with a smaller Marine Betta and you should be fine.

I've never seen them eat small fish or other crustaceans. I suppose they could but as long as nothing's 'bite size' you should be fine.

It is a shy fish typically although one of my customers got one from me that's out all the time - but that's more the exception than the rule, IMO.

I think they're an excellent reef fish.

Jenn

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanx for the info. If i do get one it wont be housed with anything like triggers, just mostly ambush fish like lions etc...

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I have one that used to be housed with a lion and an eel. It can be done, just make sure that it has a few caves to choose from to call home, and they do hide about 80% of the time. Very cool fish though.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds good, do they sorta roam around looking for food, or do they just keep to themselves? and its says that you should avoid housing with un-aggressive species, why is that? seems like it wouldnt hurt a fly by the way you guys have described it.......

·
5,916 Posts
Are you sure you're reading that right? They should be housed with non-aggressive species. They do not do well with bullies.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I dont know why that would be... Mine does come out of his hiding place periodically throughout the day, but he always stays close to the rockwork. He does come out to feed, but they really are not like tangs or other fish that swim around constantly. I havent had any problem with mine and to be quite honest my splendid psuedochromis is wayyy more agressive than my beta is.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its says house with semi-aggresive......

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
regardless, i guess i will pick one up sometime soon, anything that i should be wary of when picking a speciman (like some sort of disease they are prone too) .....i think these are real cool fish and something you dont see everyday, sorta why i wanted one.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I dont know of any specific diseases they are prone to, but maybe someone else can speak up here, since I purchased one that had been in captivity for over a year.

·
5,916 Posts
They're pretty bulletproof except if something picks on them. And I've seen them recover from serious injury if they were removed from the bully situation.

My old boss years ago, was hired to take down a tank that had been ignored for a year. I think it must have had auto-topoff because the water would have been all gone - but there was no livestock left in it, just rock. As he was pulling everything apart, what popped out of the rocks? Marine Betta - fat and happy. Must have lived on 'pods and stuff because the tank had been neglected for a whole year.

I've had plenty of them through the shop - lost one that something picked on, but I can't say I've lost any others for any other reason (knocking on wood...) Generally they ship well but even if they have a rough ride they usually bounce back just fine.

I'd make sure the specimen you're considering is eating - but I'd recommend that for all species. Beyond that no specific concerns - like I said they're a great fish ;)

Jenn

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sweet, sorta what i wanted to hear. I have been staying away from species that are more prone to certain diseases like Powder Blues and Ich (actually i may go the powder blue route "someday"). So just make sure its eating and looking good overall and i should be fine. Awesome.......now im getting excited:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts