The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bad outbreak of aptaisa in my 55gal tank. i am trying to get it under control before i move the rock into the 180gal new setup.

I have added 20 Peppermint shrimp about 2 weeks ago and they have not affected anything yet. (there is more aptaisa showing up). do i just need to give them time? or move onto a butterfly fish?

Thanks,

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I have a Bad outbreak of aptaisa in my 55gal tank. i am trying to get it under control before i move the rock into the 180gal new setup.

I have added 20 Peppermint shrimp about 2 weeks ago and they have not affected anything yet. (there is more aptaisa showing up). do i just need to give them time? or move onto a butterfly fish?

Thanks,
Don't get a butterfly fish. At all. Remove the infected rock into a QT system and Joe's Juice them to death. Don't get them under control, eradicate them completely before moving the rocks to the 180.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used Aptasia X and it has done a really good job getting rid of the small ones, the bigger ones I had to dose a couple of times. I have some pepermint shrimp in my tank and they haven't done anything either.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Are you sure they're the right shrimp? There are two species that can go by that common name. Every time I've added peppermint shrimp, they've devoured any available aiptasia.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I have a couple of aiptasia at the bottom of my tank, too deep to reach easily with a syringe. Anyone have any tips on how to get at them? I tried peppermint shrimp too, but I think my royal gramma keeps eating them.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've noticed at work that if I feed the shrimp, they have no interest in the nasties. They have to be hungry first. Assuming you have the right shrimp, surely a few in 20 have a taste for aptasia? Maybe try lowering the food going in for a few days?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you are REALLY inundated, look into Berghia Nudibranches....

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
I had three peppermints that decimated my aptaisia problem. Then I think my flame hawk devastated the peppermints :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
dito - I have been using it for about a month and it is wonderful! One, however, has survived and now seems to know what is coming when it 'tastes' the atipsia x....can they learn?

·
Registered
959 Posts
peppermint worked for me also, you only need1 that will actually eat the stuff, If I do get an outbreak I might put like 5 and I always see the aiptasia go away, granted the shrimp get ate eventually also but they always get the aiptasia first,

right now Im lucky cause I have oen really big peppermint that doesn't get eaten and he eats aiptasia

1 - 14 of 14 Posts