The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me to ID the algae that i have in my tank and the best plan of action to get rid of them. I recently arranged my rockwork again and in doing so i took them all out and siphoned the whole sand bed. Also cleaned filters and got a new canister because the other one had no flow left even after taking apart and cleaning.

Tank has been setup for 8 months

29 gallons

Canister filter for 50 gallons

HOT canister filter

feed once a day

Try to leave actinics on only all day (not helping)

3 week old light hood

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It just looks like regular cyano and green stuff to me, maybe some diatoms too. This is a good site to learn about different algaes http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

What is your water source, and do you have any powerheads in the tank?

People seem to get better results from protein skimmer's than they do from canister filters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It just looks like regular cyano and green stuff to me, maybe some diatoms too. This is a good site to learn about different algaes http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

What is your water source, and do you have any powerheads in the tank?

People seem to get better results from protein skimmer's than they do from canister filters.
I do have a pretty strong powerhead and do not use RO water. Would there be a major difference in algae growth if i did use RO?

Also whould it be more beneficial if i got rid of my 2 canisters and got a decent protein skimmer?

Thanks for the responses

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Number one thing would be to use RODI water. Not using pure water is probably the biggest factor fueling your algae. I'd also drop the canisters. What size is the tank (edit: never mind - you already told us that :p) and how much flow do you have?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I do have a pretty strong powerhead and do not use RO water. Would there be a major difference in algae growth if i did use RO?

Also whould it be more beneficial if i got rid of my 2 canisters and got a decent protein skimmer?

Thanks for the responses
Sometimes more flow right at the cyano (the purple stuff) can help, it tends to prefer dead spots.

Rodi and distilled water do not have the phosphates that fertilizes algae and cyano (which is technically a bacteria). It might take a while to clear up if you switch because it kind of soaks into the rocks and sand so the algae can take it straight from there until it is all cleared out.

A lot of people see an improvement when they get a good skimmer. I don't think 2 canister filters is doing much good.

The more you can pull off without hurting your corals, the better. Some people use a soft toothbrush and siphon out was comes off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Number one thing would be to use RODI water. Not using pure water is probably the biggest factor fueling your algae. I'd also drop the canisters. What size is the tank (edit: never mind - you already told us that :p) and how much flow do you have?
I have a pretty good amount of flow. I could also get another powerhead if that would help.. i just don't want tooo much flow because of my recent purchases... (colt coral, pom pom xenia, giant duncan)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes more flow right at the cyano (the purple stuff) can help, it tends to prefer dead spots.

Rodi and distilled water do not have the phosphates that fertilizes algae and cyano (which is technically a bacteria). It might take a while to clear up if you switch because it kind of soaks into the rocks and sand so the algae can take it straight from there until it is all cleared out.

A lot of people see an improvement when they get a good skimmer. I don't think 2 canister filters is doing much good.

The more you can pull off without hurting your corals, the better. Some people use a soft toothbrush and siphon out was comes off.
Okay, so ditch the 2 canisters and just go with a protein skimmer? Then get an RO unit? Recommendations for both would be helpful. Best value/quality ratio.

Then after that weekly water changes? And do i HAVE to scrape the algae off of everything or is there a way where it all just dies? I was reading into a 3-5 day blackout followed by a big water change to remove the released phospates but did not want to hurt my corals and other organisms ect....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
And do i HAVE to scrape the algae off of everything or is there a way where it all just dies?
Oh, I think you already know the answer to that one :p

The reason being that when it dies it's not all at once. It's usually bad to have your levels going up and down like crazy, and it is more likely that the rocks will snatch up the nutrients before you do. There's persticides you can blast it with too. Your choice. I've read a lot of threads where it comes right back when people take shortcuts like that, but some where it doesn't. It seems to me that they wind up doing more work and spending more money trying to find a quick fix than they would going after the source from the jump.

C'est la vie, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.