The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Reefelicious
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering what you would need to house a peacock mantis shrimp? I know they can only be kept alone and a little about there diet but whats the minimum for tank size, rock work, lighting, how often you have to feed them??! :help::help::help:

· Registered
798 Posts
30 G is recommended for a big male. Limited to no lighting. Intense light has been known to cause shell rot. Feeding should be a couple times a week. More feeding equals more molting. The less they molt the longer they live! I feed my mantis krill and silverside along with live snails/hermit crabs.

· Reefelicious
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are som other species that you could put in a 10 gallon? Like a Lime Green Spearer or and Zebra Striped Mantis? Anything else come to mind for a 10 gallon?

· Registered
798 Posts
What are som other species that you could put in a 10 gallon? Like a Lime Green Spearer or and Zebra Striped Mantis? Anything else come to mind for a 10 gallon?
Here's a list of good mantis for a 10 Gallon. These are all smashers. Most of the spearers that are commonly available all require 20+ gallons.

G. Smithii
G. Viridis
N. Wennerae
N. Oerstedii

· Reefelicious
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'm looking at the Gonodactylellus viridian (green mantis shrimp) I've looked around and it seems they only need like 20l? Is that true? My bro is going off to college and he is leaving his phirana tank (5gal) Could i put on in there?

· Registered
798 Posts
You might be waiting a long time! The only mantis I've ever seen on Live Aquaria are Peacock and Zebra Mantis. Those two are usually in Diver's Den.

Blue Zoo Aquatics gets different mantis in fairly often.

Smaller Mantis that are available online right now are:

Neogonodactylus Oerstedii - Reefs2go.com & www.sealifeinc.net
Neogonodactylus Wennerae - tbsaltwater.com

I have an N. Oerstedii that is a really nice green, they can be more dull browns though.
N Wennerae will turn bright green under bright lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.