The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this message in the Mantis Shrimp category, but i think this one is more appropriate. I have found at least 3 Mantis Shrimps in my tank (3ft x 18'' x 18'') and noticed 1 small fish has disappeared and I am blaming the Shrimps for this.. I've seen them jump out of little holes and grab food with lightning speed, and they have dug up all underneath my reef!!! Very pesky!!! But i have noticed its such pretty colours that i want to catch them and put them in a smaller tank of their own before they get any more fish. Has anybody got any idea's on how to catch them without having to pull apart my reef and disturb anything? Any little traps that I can make?
Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are a couple of traps you can make or buy but mantis shrimps are extremely clever and often wont go for the bait or worse (for your pride) they will eat the bait and get out of the trap before you realize it. Another fellow reefer here posted a thread here about a good trap he/she made a while back. Im just seeing if i can find it. In my opinion you should just locate the shrimps take them and their homes (live rock piece they reside in) and take it out of the tank. Get something sharp and poke it in the rock and try to force the shrimps out. Watch out, they are mean and fast. BTW when you get the shrimp out u can put the rock in. I know you dont want to tear apart your tank right now but you'll be glad in the long run being mantis shrimp free instead of having a huge problem on your hands.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks heaps for the info. one rock is "moveable" that happens to have a shrimp living in it, but the largest shrimp lives underneath the main reef part, and seems to move about all day and pops up in different spots, so to catch him I would have to take nearly every peice of rock out which is alot of work!!! Ill try and find the thread about the trap, Thank-you!:D

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Welcome aboard, Tracie, and please keep us informed of your progress regarding the trap. If you catch them, you could always stick them in a 10-20 gallon.

And welcome aboard!! w000000000000t!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!
I havent had much progress, except I'm down 4 more fish in 1 week!! This thing must be growing extremely quick! He got a small clown, a goby and 2 small damsels :cry: and I cannot find where it is hiding! I pushed all the sand back into it's burrows, hoping it would push the sand away from where his hiding, but there's no evidence of digging. I hear it all through the night and I've taken alot of live rock out and investigated all the holes (and found some interesting critters I didn't even know I had!) but I didn't find what I was looking for. Not even any little bones left-over or evidence of where it has been. I've made a little trap and placed it in the bottom with a little bit of blue bait, hoping he'll get the scent and go in there.. so.. fingers crossed!! He knows Im after him!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love mantis shrimp. If you are able to catch all of them, you'll probably need to keep them in separate habitats/tanks. They'll fight each other, and if one molts, there is a good chance it will be killed by one of the others in its vulnerable state. I wish you were in the States, because I'd love to take one off your hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts