The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Manderine will 65 lbs of LR in my 57 gal tank. The tank is only a couple of months old. I know they are bottom feeders and filter feeders I am curious I was going to start feeding zoo plex from kent some days and zoplan from two little fishes will this be good for him?:read: :confused:

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I'd respectfully suggest that you either return or re-home the mandarin ASAP. It is likely to starve to death. They are NOT filter feeders. They aren't "bottom feeders" in the traditional sense of the word meaning scavengers. They forrage for live food within the rocks and sand.

Studies have shown that this creature does best in tanks 75 gallons or larger, well-established, with 100 lbs of live rock, or more. The reason is they eat only live copepods and amphipods which they find in the rocks, and in smaller tanks they deplete the populations of pods before those pods can reproduce in sufficient numbers to sustain an ample food source for the fish.

There are rare reports of mandarins eating "dead" food (such as commercial preparations) but those are the exception, rather than the rule.

The best thing for that particular fish at this point in time is to find it a home that is more likely to support it.

Not meaning to sound harsh - just being honest.

Respectfully,

Jenn

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK well I will do what we have to do. one more question what if I were to have a REF. all those little critters grow in refs?

·
Registered
363 Posts
fchidsey said:
OK well I will do what we have to do. one more question what if I were to have a REF. all those little critters grow in refs?
They do.. the thing is, you should have both the tank and refugium set up for at least 6 months to build up a stable population. Then you can also rotate the rock between the tanks to restore the population in the main tank.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K well he will go back then I dont want to keep an animal that I am going to starve that is cruel.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
fchidsey said:
K well he will go back then I dont want to keep an animal that I am going to starve that is cruel.
its a mistake that you caught in time, thats good, think of it as a goal, one day, you want your tank to be able to support one of those fish, so start doing the research now, and build your tank just right for one of those. and in 6 months- 1 year, you can have the best experience with a mandarin you can imagine. instead of having problems and getting depressed, and never wanting one again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Now you have an excuse to get another tank to use as a refugium....
The additional water volume will help stabilize the tank as well...., not to mention if you ever need to seperate a fish from the main tank, they can go in the refugium (size permitting).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya the good thing is the wife already authorized the 180-220 or what ever we decide on just need my currect house to sell. Anybody want to buy it? Its in FLORIDA

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ouccmich said:
I agree with everyone here for sure. Definitely take him back and get one when your tank is ready. I didn't get mine until tank my tank was a year old. Now she's going on 2 and the mandarin is flourishing. They are beautiful fish, but buggers to keep if you don't have enough copepods.
what size tank do you have him in?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts