The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the thought of a marine tank for years....probably more than a decade now but never put any serious research into it. What I THOUGHT I understood and what I'm understanding now that I've been lurking here for a while aren't even remotely the same thing. So, as I mentioned I'm a lurker who has been enjoying the threads and discussions and photos and community without being PART of it and I decided that I wanted to jump right in here with the rest of you despite not having any fish of my own.

Currently I'm NOT planning to make any progress on my own, as I don't have the finances nor the education I think I need to be successful but I thought if I were to start asking questions and learning from others I might be better prepared when I finally DO pull the trigger.

So hi, my name's Charles, though I've been known on the web as Gawker for about the past 8 years and to be completely honest I'm as apt to answer to that as anything. Gawker was already taken here so I reverted to the root where I got the name probably another 5 years earlier.

Now on the the INTERESTING stuff. Currently I'm toying with the idea of building a nano/pico reef in a BiOrb 8 or 16 gallon tank with LS/LR and possibly a couple frags of nice coral but then I start thinking a pair of clowns and a single anemone would round out things awfully nice but then I have to admit I'm not 100% that's even realistically feasible. So yeah! Tear apart my idea and tell me WHY I'm an idiot so I don't do anything stupid and thanks for having a place I can come and ASK the stupid questions!!

Gawker

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
whoa, anemone, clown, and coral in a 8-16 gallon! Thats really hard. Good luck though... :)

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
whoa, anemone, clown, and coral in a 8-16 gallon! Thats really hard. Good luck though... :)
Relatively speaking... If the proper "maintenance" regimens are made to that specific tank, it could be rather simple... It's all about water quality...

I think it sounds like a perfect setup... Once enough information is learned by the "reefer" they could tackle this project with "comfort and ease".

Everything will sound intimidating if you don't know how to approach it or maintain it.;)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I dunno, the smaller hole on top seems it would make it hard for maintenance but it would be cool.

I am no expert but i think with the bigger one you could pull of what you want, just have to figure out a way to get lighting for the nem(they require a higher level of light to thrive) and also they require consistent water. little tank is hard to keep consistent but it is possible. Even tho it would require more maintenance, it would be easy maintenance because of the small size, but harder to keep water consistent during water changes and such.

Just my two cents... please do it tho.. dont hold back...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
what not to do in a BioOrb
I really hope that is photo shopped!!

Reminds me of this guy buying a gold fish in the LFS the other day... he says"yeah i want that big one right there(pointing to a koi or large goldfish 6 inches or bigger). Maybe he will be big enough to live longer than a month." The shop owner said " do you have a large tank... what size..." customer said " its big! "

lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I have to admit that it's a little difficult to tell if you're making fun of me Nate o_O

I freely admitted that I don't have the faintest clue what is or isn't "possible" and you seemed on board with the overall concept (let's totally ignore MY ability to pull it off) but man the photo threw me off big time....is that what you think my idea would turn out like? Even my uneducated self automagically thinks that's way to much fish and not nearly enough water!!!

I kid, I kid hahahaha!! Man that's seriously not right! Where on earth did you find that photo?! I was already thinking that the 16 gallon was the best choice for the project, the only reason I mentioned the smaller orb was if I were to start with a ZERO fish reef tank in the event that my concept wasn't even feasible with the 16 gallon capacity. Heck I'm not even saying I'd attempt it right now without someone who was well versed and willing to essentially hold my hand through the process. I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can I only kinda threw out the concept to give everyone a clear picture of where my "education" was. I just thought it would make a very interesting looking end result. Maybe once I've learned enough to actually get started I can attempt it!

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
omg thats funny all the parrot fish do hope its a joke though. welcome to the reef tank gawker its a fun place. i have a small tank and love it it's 25 gallon lots of rock i have 2 clowns but no anemone my clowns decided that the coral was fun to host in.
please do lots of research on here before you start and you should be good have fun

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I kept a biorb for several months as a damsel only tank. It crashed. On the floor :)
they are slippery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok can I ask a (probably stupid) question? o_O

I know that coral + nem + clowns = bioload but I've also seen how lots of people seem to have clowns hosting frogspawn.....I think that would be a pretty cool tank and reduce the bioload by one. Would that make a noticable difference in the difficulty of the 16G setup I'm considering should I go that route?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hrmmmmm that's a fair point actually o_O
It'd be pretty silly to have these things in the tank and the clowns not host anything at all wouldn't it :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts