The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone who is running bb have a mandarin? I have been bb for a little over a month and still am getting used to it. I am worried that without any sand in my display or refugium that I might not have enough pods for him to eat. I don't have a ton of rock either which is great for my flow but not for pods. Should I be worried about adding a mandarin? My tank is 75g with a 30g sump/refugium with a duplexium concept incorporated.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Dont both getting one, he will just die in a BB. You need lots of rock, and it should be a very well established tank with a high pod population. Something BB tanks dont have. He'll just starve and die.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If its a green manderin I agree with jflip , but if its a spotted mandering you might be able to get it to eat other things . I have one and it LOVES frozen blood worms . I feed my fish 4 different types of foods and thats the only thing I've seen it eat . It usually just swims past everything else . Ask at the petstore you go to if your can see it eat and if they could give it something else to see if it'll eat it before you buy or condem buying it .

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I wouldn't try. One of the great things about bb tanks are lack of waste in the system. Without this waste, pods aren't going to do so hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with a spotted mandarin if I do decide to get one. BTW, I have had most of my rock for over 5 years if not longer and when I was cooking it I would see pods everywhere. If I did decide to get one down the road should I get rods food to be on the safe side?

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I would go in the store with some rods food and try to feed the one you are thinkin bout buyin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope everybody is basing what they say on experience and not my post count. I have be reefing for over 7 years and have done well with sps, clams, and such so please don't think I am some newb who has to have a mandarin because they are pretty. I am also very ethical about the care of these animals so if anyone does actually have a mandarin in a bb tank those responses would be greatly appreciated. I am in no rush to add one, just want to know if there is anything extra I should be aware of with having a bb tank. Luvmylo, I guess I am not following the whole waste thing correlating to pod reproduction. I am under the impression that adding phyto would add to the pod population. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Post count aside here. I would give the same advise to everyone: Don't do it. You really do need lots of rock and a very mature take to pull a mandarin off. More often than not, you won't find one that will eat enough prepared food to keep it alive. Beautiful creature that is best kept in a large, mature tank or left in its natural environment.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We have a bb and I wouldn't put a mandrarin in it. We have had enough problems keeping them alive in our 125. There is just not enough pods in a small tank to keep them fead. I hope you deside not to get one. They are very pretty though.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Beltmann, I say no mandarin due to the BB. You can have your >10 posts or Loverotties irrelevant 20k+ posts, it doesnt matter. In my 190g, I was going to go BB, I actually WAS BB for a little, with a good 150 lbs of rock Id estimate. Even then I didnt feel that it would have been safe for a mandarin. I added sand pretty much for the looks, and so I could keep a mandarin and jawfish.

IF you MUST have a mandarin, there are probably ways to do it. First Id wait til you do have a good pod count... then Id get more. Have a fuge with tons of rubble rock, macro algae and sand. Then have some more rubble rock in rain gutter net zip tied together, making little bundles you can rotate. I would have a good 5 of these guys, and rotate them every 1-2 days, from sump to display, 1 at a time. I think if you are religious with that method, you could probably keep a mandarin successfully. I know that if it were me, it would end up not being worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
IF you MUST have a mandarin, there are probably ways to do it. First Id wait til you do have a good pod count... then Id get more. Have a fuge with tons of rubble rock, macro algae and sand. Then have some more rubble rock in rain gutter net zip tied together, making little bundles you can rotate. I would have a good 5 of these guys, and rotate them every 1-2 days, from sump to display, 1 at a time. I think if you are religious with that method, you could probably keep a mandarin successfully. I know that if it were me, it would end up not being worth the hassle.

That is a very good plan, and possibly workable as well. I am in agreement with you totally though and am one who would not think it to be worth all of the hassle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jflip, that is a pretty good idea with the rubble bundles as a way to feed! Do you think applying your method in conjunction with frozen food would yield a successful way to care for a spotted mandarin?

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
I think it all gose down to .... will it eat other things besids pods.
You can make "in-tank" Pod farms useing some plastic canvice.
load it with LRR and use zip ties to close it off and pot you "show" rocks around it to hide it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts