The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herro -

I would like to start making my own salt water. Right now I have to drive 20 minutes each way to the LFS and it costs me about $20 every three weeks to get buy the water.

Is it work it to make your own? Cost effective?

There probably is no easy/quick way to tell me how to start doing this...so, do you guys know of any articles or books that will help? I searched the threads but didn't see anything.

Your help would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes, it's worth it. BUT you have to invest in good water to start with. Either an ro/di system, or distilled water will have to be used to create good, safe and reliable salt water.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I spent 12 years making my own and the last year buying pre-made, it is so much nicer, easier and quicker to by the pre-made. I have a great LFS about 15-20 minutes away. I change my water more often because of the convenience. Mixing is a pain in the but, takes time space and equipment to do it properly. Stick with Pre-mix and enjoy the hobby, don't make it work or you will hate it.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Making your own SW is VERY expensive!To get all the proper minerals and trace elements and get them in the right amount would cost big $$$.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Making your own SW is VERY expensive!To get all the proper minerals and trace elements and get them in the right amount would cost big $$$.
What? I make mine, and it doesn't cost that much at all. The product comes in a bucket, I simply add the right amount of the product to ro/di water and viola, I have sea water.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think if you add up the cost of pre-made SW, plus the cost of gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, you'll find that it's far more expensive in the long run than making your own.

·
seawolf
543 Posts
Making your own water will definately be cheaper in the long run, after the initial start-up cost of buying a RO/DI unit. I buy my water from my LFS purely for the convenience of not having to mix the water and waiting for the salt to dissolve. I could have bought a filter many times over with the money I have spent on buying pre-mixed water.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love buying pre-mixed water due to That Im real bad at mixing salt water. I can never get the Specific Gravity right. The pre-mixed water my cost a bit more but its worth it when i see my fish swimming happy and looking healthy.

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts
I spent 12 years making my own and the last year buying pre-made, it is so much nicer, easier and quicker to by the pre-made. I have a great LFS about 15-20 minutes away. I change my water more often because of the convenience. Mixing is a pain in the but, takes time space and equipment to do it properly. Stick with Pre-mix and enjoy the hobby, don't make it work or you will hate it.

What lfs do you go to ?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Have an emergency in the middle of the night or on a holiday weekend where you need to do an emergency water change and you'll be glad you make your own...I assume we are talking about making water from commercial salt mixes not trying to make it from "scratch". Ideally you would want an RO/DI filter, TDS meter, refractomer, new/clean trashcan, cheap powerhead & heater...I guess it depends on how big or small your tank is but I don't see how lugging containers to and from the LFS is convenient...I mix up around 45 gallons at a time...no way I'm gonna haul that much water from the LFS on a regular basis...but I also have a 125 with a large sump and frag tank as well as 3 24gallon nanos in my house...and there is not too much to it...open valve on the RO/DI and fill the trashcan...add 20 scoops of salt mix...allow to mix overnight and check SG, then make slight adjustment if needed...bada boom, bada bing, I have new saltwater ready to go...I can keep it aerated and heated in my trashcan for quite a while until needed...to each his own, but to me that is quicker, simpler and more convenient than hauling buckets in and out of my car, LOL!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellas. Lots of good advice. I see how some people see the value in just picking it up and not worrying about it.

I really don't mind the extra cost, i just think i would personally do more water changes if the water was in my garage.

So, its better to buy the salt mix than to make everything from scratch?

·
Administrator
46,884 Posts
Thanks fellas. Lots of good advice. I see how some people see the value in just picking it up and not worrying about it.

I really don't mind the extra cost, i just think i would personally do more water changes if the water was in my garage.

So, its better to buy the salt mix than to make everything from scratch?

DEFINATLY, unless you have access to lab grade chemicals and precision measuring equipment

Heres a link that will give you an idea of what is involved, Enjoy :)

http://marine.rutgers.edu/ebme/html_docs/ASWMEDIA.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts