The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am making plans to seperate the seahorse tank to its own sump and then amongst all the other plans i want to make my main tank BB. at the same time i will be doing a dual return CLS with eductors and i hope to use one pump to do this. my questions are as follows...

1. should i scrub the hoo ha out of my LR before putting it back in the tank?

2. is there a recommended way to set the LR up so i can get gunk out from underneith it?

3. how long should i set my lights on for (2X 250w MH over a long 90gal) and should i get a vho setup for the remaining portion of the day for viewing?

4. how well will my echino, candy cane, and other softies/LPS do in a bb tank?

5. what other equipment should i get?

these are some starter questions. i want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1. yes if you hair algie, other than that why would you want to do that?
2. you can raise it up using plastic hanger legs or build an egg crete shelf.
3. is the MH a new addition? if so start by having them on 1 hour and increase lenght over time.
4. your coral should not have a problem, I have a leather and even some xenia and they do quite well.
5. could not tell you.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1) If you don’t want to go the “rock cooking” route, then yes, you should scrub and dunk and swoosh and blast the rock as much as possible (all in salt water). It will still shed quite a bit the first few months after being reintroduced into your tank, but at least most of the junk should be gone.

2) With the live rock, try to stack it so only pointy ends touch the bottom of the tank. If you have mostly boulders, try to buy some pieces of Tonga Branch to use as your rock foundation and put the boulders on top of that.

3) Metal halide around 5 hours for each lamp to start. You can stagger the on and off times if you wish to extend the halide photoperiod. I like to add supplemental lighting like T5s to extend the total photoperiod to around 12 hours.

4) There should be no problem in keeping coral, which like gentler flow. The best bet here is to drive the circulation with a pair of 6000 Tunze Streams on a multicontroller. Set them up so the produce a nice, gentle clockwise, then counter-clockwise circulation in the tank. I’d go with a simple non-pressure-rated pump, like an Iwaki MD-30RLXT or Pan World 50PX-X for the sump return without eductors.

5) For additional equipment, I’d get a good, high-quality needle-wheel skimmer, like a Euro-Reef.RS100 or CS100.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts