The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of rimless tanks. Is it as easy as removing the rim? Or with a tank that already has a rim, is it a structural thing? I know there will be silicone or glue or whatever they used to attach the rim, but I don't think it would be that hard to remove. Think I'm risking a lot by removing it?

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have two horizontal glass braces on either side of the tank, so I think they should help with the support.

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
nooooppppe. rimless requires thicker glass etc. if your tank came with a brace. leave it there. They tend to push the limits on how thin they make most tanks by adding the bracing in the first place. I wouldn't risk it. they do look cool though. my next tank when I move will be a rimless. probably a cube or something really wide. I just like the depth effect you can get with a wider tank.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My tanks plastic brace is in 4 different really flimsy thin pieces just siliconed on. Wasn't even one piece.. the glass is the brace. I ended up removing it, and realizing how pointless the plastic was. Looks great. Gonna finish removing the excess silicone tomorrow. The glass is luckily polished as well so i won't have to sand it or smooth it off. Ill post pics tomorrow and show you so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I only removed the top rim and kept the one piece on the top-back of the tank. Definitely not going to remove the bottom :)

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
What size tank? That is somewhat risky....the plastic is thin and cheap yes.....but it does play a large role in the structural integrity of the tank overall.

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not one piece though... its 4 seperate unatatched pieces that cant be doing anything for s tructural support

·
Super Saiyan
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decided to put the rim back on the tank. I didn't want to risk it , and to be honest, I didn't rally like the look. but at least it gave me the chance to silicone it onto the tank better than it was. was very easy to remove. Too easy.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
It was probally a good idea that you did. Now you don't have to worry everytime you come home there maybe a leak. I just built a stand and a sump and did all the plumbing and everyday for the first week or so I ran down the stairs to make sure something didn't go wrong and flooded.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Floods suck. I'm always flooding my house with my RODI unit..
8 grand in my tank and still haven't got the 35$ automatic shut off...
Floods suck...
You would have been pist the day you came home and your tank split and fish where on the floor... Did I mention floods suck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
+1 to floods suck
and if you are renting and don't have renters insurance, get it, generally about $100/yr. I just got the bill from my downstairs neighbor and am awaiting the one from the landlord for the ceiling repair- much more than $100 each.

Anyway, the weakest natural point of your tank is the waterline in the middle of your longest panes of glass. The rim protects this by exacting a normalizing force. The second weakest spot is smack in the middle of the bottom somewhere, depending on how well balanced and level your stand is. Keep it level and well supported under your seams and any extra heavy spots and the weight will dissipate evenly to your stand. It can get expensive when you don't. Most tank failures come from this misstep.

·
Zombie Maker
872 Posts
Mr Scriles. although it may seem that that thin peice of plastic wasnt doing anything. and it seemed flimsy.. think about it like this(I'm an engineering major so bear with me)
you have a flimsy peice of plastic rod.. maybe .. 1.8 inch thick. you can take it and flex the hell out of it and think "this wouldn't hold me up if stood on it" and you would be right. now take that plastic rod and try to stretch it. if you could secure it up the ceiling you could hang on it and it wouldnt break right? tensile strength and shear strength are totally different. that little plastic ring around the tank may not be able to hold up 15 pounds if you set it across it but you couldn't stretch it if you tried. That's what it is doing for your tank. retaining the top from seperating. glad you put it back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts