The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional Algae Grower
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I am a newbie (8 mo.), but this still hurts. I started running water to do a water change and had the drain valve that dumps water into my sump open. As the rodi was made, it overflowed my sump and lowered my salinity to .015. I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM SOOOO STUPID. I resolved the issue of salinity, but obviously my tank is in shock. I think the Xenas are going to die, I have never seen them look like that before. Every coral has slime on it and my coraline is dead. CRAP!!!! months of progress killed... I was looking forward to posting some pics of my tank, but whatever.

Also, i have some sort of Algae growing on a few of my corals. they are turning orange and look lke they are dieing in a couple places.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
well its hard to say. How long was it low? Sometimes corals can fool you. This may not be as bad as it seems right now. Just realize your going through what most all us go through one time or the other. Right now the best thing you can do is just keep a close eye on your tank and remove anything that dies asap. I'm also new and I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers will chime in with better tips. Let us know how things go. I'm sending good thoughts your way

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its fast swings in SG that can effect your tank. How fast did it drop and how fast did you bring it back up? I hope you brought it back up slow.. How are the fish doing?
Corals are tough so you may luck out and have them bounce back.
Need a pic for the algae question

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Healthy corals are pretty resilient, they get twice a day exposure to the air for reeftop species, as well as occasional exposure to freshwater for hours (rain) as the tide drops the water level and storm clouds drop their burden on the exposed reef. The mucus is a protective mechanism to prevent damage to adverse environmental conditions, so make sure to do some big water changes to avoid problems related to potential nutrient release from the stuff the corals exuded, and wtch the system for any nitrogen spikes from anything that DID/DOES die from the little incident, and maintain parameters via adjustments if necessary. Octocorals (softies) will be of varying resilience depending on specie, but stony corals with small polyps will motst likely not experience difficulties unless there was a very extended hyposaline exposure.

HTH

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Not surprising about the stars...they are very sensitive to changes in SG.

In any event, I am very sorry for your loss. :( Hopefully the worst is behind you.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
good advice so far. REALLY sorry to hear about this..but try not to beat yourself up too much. I'd be most of us have made a mistake similar to this before...

Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Keep us posted, and hope the remaining critters pull through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts