The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats the best magnesium supp out there? And has anyone used epsom salts as their mag supp? Thanks.

Lee - glxtrix

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use Seachem, but I'll probably switch to one of the suggested brands of epsom salts. When I originally bought the vat-sized container of Seachem, I wasn't aware that epsom was usable since I assumed it wasn't food grade as it's not designed for ingestion (that I know of).

·
Registered
264 Posts
GLXTRIX said:
so I guess just any epsom salt will work huh
I wouldn't assume that. I haven't researched it, but I would say that since it isn't food-grade, not all brands may be created equal.

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
There is some really good info on this subject over at Reef Central, in the reef chemistry forum, Randy has quite alot of info there... I am in the process of mixing his recipe for a 3 part calcuim additive, Magnesium being the 3rd part... His recipe calls for epsom salts...

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
I've used epsom salts with no problems...

- Michael

·
Registered
427 Posts
The use of Epsom salts....MgSO4....will eventually cause a sulfate imbalance in the tank and isn't a good idea. It is better to use MgCl2....which in bulk is either Magflake or Nigari. Randy suggests only using Epsom salts no more than within a 6 to 1 ratio....6 parts MgCl2 to 1 part MgSO4.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I also use seachem's Reef advantage magnesium...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I've been dosing the epsom salts, the only issue with it is yes over time it will build up something, dont remember what I read. But as stated in the article, if regular water changes are done, which mine are done weekly, there will be no issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts