The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with Magnesium. Last week I got a salifert test for Mg and it came out at 1200. Over this course of this week I've dosed an entire small bottle of seachem Mg suppliment. (not all at once of course) The Mg is still 1200. I don't understand what's going on and why I can't get it up higher. The only other thing I dose is Seachems Ca suppliment.

Ca is 430
dKH is 8.6
salinity 1.025

all tests done with salifert and I use Reef Crystals for salt.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
forget the Mg suppliment. get some epsom salts and use that. mix it with some RO water and call it good.

somewhere there is a great chem calculator that will help you figure out exactly how much to dose a tank. i am sure someone here has the link handy.

G~

·
Administrator
46,690 Posts
If your Mg is 1200 why are you adding more? thats pretty normal level, UNless Seachem has changed the Calcium additives usually they test better with the Seachem Ca test because of the chelation process they used in the past at least

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug1 said:
If your Mg is 1200 why are you adding more? thats pretty normal level, UNless Seachem has changed the Calcium additives usually they test better with the Seachem Ca test because of the chelation process they used in the past at least
I thought Mg was supposed to be 1350? That's why I'm adding more! Am I wrong?

I'll see if I can find the seachem test kit.

·
Administrator
46,690 Posts
seshapir said:
I thought Mg was supposed to be 1350? That's why I'm adding more! Am I wrong?

I'll see if I can find the seachem test kit.
If I recall correctly 1200 is OK unless you have an abundance of coralline algae and it starts to decline. The problem with using Epsom Salt is that over time it adds a lot of Sulphates to the water, that can be problematic is you dont do regular water changes.
Regarding Seachem Calcium, check and see if its the chelated liquid form, thats the one that threw of typical calcium tests, at least the Fast Test and Red Sea, if its a more tradition Calcium suppliment you should be fine

If you dont have copious coralline growth and thats what you are aiming for, the additional Mg may be getting slowly absorbed and will take a bit to show results in growth but not necessarily show in tests if its being absorbed, at least my thinking, but then Iagain I suck at Chemistry :)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,659 Posts
1250-1300 is where I like to run my mag, but I would not stress over 1200.

Doug is right about the Epsom salts, I use a mix of them and MgCl (magnesium chloride) to balance out the ions.

Using the calculator linked below you can find out how much of whatever supplement you chose you will need to bring it to the values you are looking for. Don't forget to subtract the approximate volume of your LR/Sand from your total tank volume.
http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The calcium we're using is the Seachem reef advantage calcium..this one
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefAdvCalcium.html

It doesn't say anything about chelated but then again I have no idea what that means! It's a powder not a liquid also.

Maybe it does take a while for the Mg to get absorbed so before I try anything else I think I'll give it a few more days to see if it changes at all.

Thank you for the help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts