The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... now that I have your attention!! I am wondering if anyone feeds their fish, especially lionfish, maggots, not meal worms.
OK Before you start thinking I'm weird or something, the reason I ask is because we have 2 turtles and I feed them fresh and frozen maggots. I use them because they are simple to come by, just stick some wet dog food in a 2 liter pepsi bottle, put it outside and wait for the eggs to be laid. Then I put mesh over the top and they grow. I know it sounds nasty to some but they are clean due to them only eating the dog food provided. My turtles LOVE them!! Sort of like raising meal worms, but I dont think I have as easy access to them as free fly eggs. OK, now that you don't think I'm a freak....I hope. Can I use these tasty Haahaaaa morsals to feed my fish? I am especially wondering if my lionfish will like them, now that he is eating off of a stick.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
We have turtles, too, but somehow, no offense, I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to feeding them maggots! They get live minnows and Reptomin. I'm sure they'd love maggots...but not in this lifetime...

:)

~ Shirley oh, and your lion will probably like them just fine...:worm:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it isn't the only diet they have, I feed the turtles live minnows and dried food too. But they like it when I spice it up a bit for them!!! I guess it isn't for everyone. It's just that I was giving them meal worms and thought about the other option. I didn't think it was such a bad idea.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey maybe I should send ya some!! Your turtles will love ya for it!! LOL

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No seriously, I was more concerned if my Lion would be able to eat them since they aren't the normal kind of thing you feed to marine fish. They are high in protein. I just wanted to get any thoughts from others before I jab a big juicy one for him!!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now THOSE I WON"T touch!!!! LOLOLLL

·
Administrator
47,674 Posts
Well I dont see a lot of difference between maggots and meal worms, they are both some kind of larvae , eh
As far as feeding them to a lion fish, tho high in protien, they are lacking alot of essential amino acids and vitamin stuff found in seafood that the lion needs.
You might try one and see if he is interested but I think I would pour some Selcon on the dogfood you feed the fly larvae and not let him eat them exclusivly :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts