The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used magdrive from a fellow reefer here. For some reason it sticks when you first plug it in and I have to manually spin it to get it going. Once I spin it..it's fine. But if I unplug it or if the power goes out I have the same problem. I've read where this was a common problem across the board with Magdrives. And due to my sump design this is going to be a pain to deal with, if I target feed etc. I contacted Danner, and they said since I bought it used, it's no longer under warranty. They refused to even give me a "well it's most likely this...???" I even offered to pay to have it serviced/repaired, since it wasn't under warranty.....and again they refused. I figured with 50 years of experience as they claim to have that they would at least stand behind their product, but it doesn't seem that way. After a few heated emails back and fourth and the lack of customer service, I now will not buy anything that Danner makes from now on. I've cleaned the impeller really well and inspected the shaft for cracks and found nothing. Anyone have this experience and how did you fix it? It's 35 bucks for a new impeller, but I don't want to buy if that won't fix the problem. That's 35 bucks I could put towards a new better pump.

·
originally original
975 Posts
It's probably rubbing somewhere. Inspect the volute and the impeller, including the impeller magnet, look for calcium buildup and rub-marks. If it's calcium, just soak the unit (disassembled) in vinegar overnight. If it's rubbing, gently file down the areas in question until it spins freely.

Some pumps also have a rubber boot on the end of the shaft that secures the shaft so the impeller can rotate on the shaft, if the shaft has become fouled, the impeller assembly will cause the shaft to rotate as well. This situation require a complete disassemble of the impeller parts and a thorough vinegar soak and scrubbing.

If all else fails, sell it to me :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vinegar is what I used to clean it. Even though the impeller was pretty clean when I disassembled it, I still let it soak in vinegar for 2 days. In my case I have rubber caps on both ends.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The volute cover is usually the problem if the impeller looks good. It's the cover you took off to get at the impeller. Look at the inside of the volute cover where the rubber end of the impeller shaft fits into a hole. If the hole is oblonged or one of the three "legs" that center the hole are broken, the impeller will touch the side and not start.

This is the piece you most likely need. It's a very common and inexpensive fix.
http://www.marineandreef.com/Volute_for_Pond_Mag_and_Mag_Drive_12_18_p/rdf12741.htm

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at it and the hole does have a slight oval shape to it. Looks like a new cover is in order. Thanks I had no idea what to look for and Danner was no help. Does anyone know if I can order new endcaps without buying the whole impeller? The one endcap on the volute side shows some slight wear, might not hurt to change it out while I'm at it if I can.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Mag pumps are really very good pumps. Replace the volute cover and impeller and your pump is as good as new.

I have not seen the rubber caps for the impeller sold separately.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks again. You guys here are awesome. Kept looking at the impeller for damage, but never thought to look at the cover (volute) DOH!! (Homer Simpson). Sad that Danner couldn't have told me that....maybe rep was having a bad couple of days or something but I got nowhere even with about 4-5 emails back and fourth. I've heard how good their pumps were which is why I bought it. But the customer service I got was poor to say the least. Anyways thanks again...../rant off

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Glad you found the 'stick' problem. It's too bad that customer service dosn't include a page on the company web site that covers queations like yours. It wouldn't take a lot of time or effort on their part, and might even create more revenue for their product.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. Had they gave me a simple answer on what to look for like Jadinop and Neuticle did (although I must admit I didn't know what a volute was), I would have been a repeat customer when this pump dies. Not that losing one customer will hurt them much, just principal in my opinion. They made me feel like I was no one important, because I didn't buy it new.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
So the hole in the pump body that the small end-part of the impeller sits in should be hexagonal in shape. If it wears to be more round, it will stick when it fires up. If this is the case, you may out of luck (you'll need a new pump body). This covered under warranty (3 years), but if you've bought it used it may be a loss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts