The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Magazine/Book suggestions?

Are there any good Reef Magazines out there? I know a lot of magazines focus on fish keeping, anything good on corals? I'm also wanting to get together a list of books to collect. I have the Marine Invertebrates PocketExpert guide (and the marine fish one). I wasn't sure where to look for suggested reading. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Coral... it is for more advanced hobbyist unlike other publications that seems to aim for more "introductory" hobbyists.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
+1 on Coral.
I've subscribed to Coral for 4 years. This month there is a very interesting article on probiotics, which includes vodka dosing. There are many options similar to vodka dosing, including solid polymers that provide a constant source of carbon so that you don't need to dose daily.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I've ordered my subscription to Coral (it must be good, cause it ain't cheap!). I will check out the two online mags. Now for books... I know there are a lot, but what are the better, more "must read" books.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I bought an issue of Coral to check it out.

It goes into alot of detail.

You basically need to be a Marine Biologist to understand it.

It is not a simple read like Tropical Fish Hobbyist or the other Fish Mag at Borders

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want a lot of detail. I have a dictionary and google if I don't understand some of the terms. I wanted to be a marine biologist for a long time but got discouraged by a lot of people, teachers included, I shouldn't have listened to them. Also, I don't want something that focuses on fish, I can find innumerable books and publications on fish. I want something that focuses on corals, marine invertebrates, saltwater tank keeping, and if it does focus on fish I would want it to be strictly marine, not freshwater.

I have a bookshelf set aside just for this, I saw a three book set, but can't remember what it is called. Anyone have any ideas.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
My favorite books are "The Reef Aquarium" (four parts now, about $80 each) by Delbeek and Sprung (was actually in my University library when I was an undergrad... had them checked out for 2 years), "Book of Coral Propagation" by A. Calfo (Cover art was by a local guy I met a few times), The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner, and "Clownfish" by Joyce Wilkerson.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
(was actually in my University library when I was an undergrad... had them checked out for 2 years), ".
OH........... So your that guy...........LOL

I like coral for a magazine

and all of the above books plus the martin moe series for books

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
OH........... So your that guy...........LOL
Yeah... well no one requested it so I kept it. (plus online renewal made it easy) We weren't a big marine biology schools so I guess there was not a big demand. Heck one of my undergrad thesis had me with 77 books checked out at a time. I save the receipt and "hung" it from the 12 foot ceilings of my old apartment... it touched the floor. The other undergrad thesis was better with only 56 books out at one time. Luckily by my masters online resources were much more abundant:read:...

Yeah Martin Moe "ain't' bad either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts