The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading all of the Rio horror stories, I finally broke down and bought a Mag 9.5. Right now my <ST1:pRio is in my way too small sump (18x8x14). The sump is the only size that fits under my 75g because of the stand opening. I want to place the pump outside the sump and run PVC back to the sump for the intake and then run the outline (PVC) back to the tank and behind the rocks. Those that have them:
  • How do you have yours mounted?
  • What is the best way to hook it up for easy maintenance?
  • What grade PVC did you use?
I've never hard plumbed a tank before so it is new to me. The tank is glass and not drilled. My overflow is an over the side.

·
Registered
163 Posts
not 100% sure but i don't think you can pull water with a mag pump. i think it has to be below the water level of your sump. someone here should be able to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Does your sump have a bulkhead? If it does not then it is going to be very difficult because you'll have to have it over the glass and a way to prime it. A lot easier to put it inside the sump.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plan was to mount the Mag level with the bottom of the sump just outside. I may have to drill the sump for that to work.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have solved this problem, at least for now. I bought a 125 Reef Ready tank last night. New Sump and Stand as well. Now I have have tons things to do.

Look for the build thread soon!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went down the same path that you did. I bought a non reefready tank and Mag9.5 pump months before I was to set them up in my new house being built. Well...after lurking on this board, I bought a new 90gal reefready tank and drilled my sump instead. I sold my non RR(which was new) and my Mag9.5 and pretty much got my money back. Anyway, here's a pic of my basement sump. http://rjhaudi.tripod.com/sump/

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice thing is the 75 was given to me by my father-in-law. Most of what I have replaced in the last year and a half has been purchased in knowing that I would move up to a 125 eventually. The time finally came last night when a LFS was having a open house with the local club ( www.seasl.org ). They had tanks at dealer cost. I couldn't pass it up. I had been looking at the tank for months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts