The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will have a 20 set up soon with a 20 sump/fuge combo,, do you think a mag 5 will be enough to get the water back up to the main tank about 40 inches above the sump

·
Registered
807 Posts
for a 20 that should be great. If I recall correctly that pump puts out about 300gph @ 4ft of head. If it is too much you can throttle it back on the output side but with the all the different fittings you will likely have you shouldn't have to throttle it back at all. That pump is available in your local Petsmart for $49.95 in the pond section under the Pondmaster name.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have this exact pump on my 55g which is around 6' above the sump... it works fantastic.
Like was said previously, you'll probably be throttling that pump back in a 20... it's just about perfect on my 55.
You're getting a good deal... I paid $99 for my Mag5 at the local LFS (rip-off artists), but I didn't have much choice at the time since I needed it immediately.
I think 300GPH is about the same flow that comes out of your faucet, so you can see how much water it will pump.
My Mag5 has been going 24/7 since I got it and I haven't even had to clean it yet (going on 5 months).
They're great little pumps.
HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.