The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so many mixed reviews on the Green Madarin Dragonets that I wanted to ask all of your opinions and experiences with them.

To me, this is the "must have" fish. This is the first satlwater fish I ever noticed and I have wanted to have one ever since.

I have read that even in large tanks with abundant LR they still wont survive sometimes. And I have also read that they do. I have read that they wont eat frozen food and that they will. Pretty much everything you can think of, I have read both sides of it.

What has your experience with them been? Tips and pointers? This is definately one of the fish I will be getting when I start my tank.

· Dragonfly
243 Posts
I've heard both storeis too... but, going by the most often heard sucess stories:

tank should be at least 6 months old, and at leasy 75 gallons w/100 lbs LR.

some can and will learn to eat frozen food: mysis shrimp is good. If you can find them at an LFS, have him/her feed them fish... if it eats, there ya go!!!

· Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,776 Posts
As far as ME goes I have never had one eat prepared foods, but I know of some people who have. I would suggest waiting till your tank is teeming with pods and then buy the mandarin. QT it for a while and try to entice it to eat prepared foods by soaking them in selcon and some form of garlic elixur from your LFS or online merchant. BTW what size is the tank going to be?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is a 72 bow front. ANd I do plan on having plenty of LR and letting it age for about 6 months or more to establish plenty of pod colonies.

I also read about a "pod pile" where you setup a couple small LR's and place small bits of frozen food in between them every so often to provide a good breeding place for the pods. Has anyone tried that? I am confident I can get the pods to reproduce, I just worry about them running out.

· Premium Member
19,379 Posts
lots of rock in a tank with at least 6 sq feet of substrate for every mandarin you add to the system, and make sure that you don't place competition into the system with other 'pod eaters. Usually can keep a male and a female in a 180 gal (2'x2'x6') tank. I have 2 that are fat and sassy in a DSB tank with ~1.5lbs Fiji per gal, and I do not target feed them at all (although there is prolly some indirect feeding possible when I target the LPS and massives in the system).

· It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
We have a mandarin in our 75 that has been set up about 2 1/2 years. we put the mandarin in about a year ago but have never seen him eat prepared foods of any kind. The tank has loads of pods scurrying around so that must be what he is munching on. I Must say he is one of the coolest fish we have.:agree:

· Registered
1,834 Posts
There is a fish with lots of personality and cool looks.

Your best bet is to find one that is already trained to eat frozen food but it will not be easy. You could buy a live culture of pods at some e-stores and create a pod motel, this is a strawberry basket filled with lr, place it in the back of the tank and just let the pods reproduce. I heard this from a member who has this.

· Registered
484 Posts
Little Luey said:
There is a fish with lots of personality and cool looks.

Your best bet is to find one that is already trained to eat frozen food but it will not be easy. You could buy a live culture of pods at some e-stores and create a pod motel, this is a strawberry basket filled with lr, place it in the back of the tank and just let the pods reproduce. I heard this from a member who has this.
Good idea!!!

· Electrical G "EE" k
458 Posts
Loralie said:
A fuge really helps. I have two of them in my 125 and they are fat and happy
I like the idea of the pod hotel...will it still be effective if kept in the refuge area? Since these pods are so small will they be affected if they get ran through a relatively slow pump (~200gph) to get them back into the display tank? Or will you end up with a bunch of dead pods in the display tank?

· Registered
319 Posts
a couple of suggestions... some already mentioned. make sure not to house with a "pod competitor" like anything in the wrasse family. put in a talented hunter like a wrasse, and the pod population is sure to decrease...

consider a gravity return fuge. in other words, have the fuge located above the tank, so the return water goes into the tank via gravity. this will drastically increase the amount of pods that make the trip into the display alive, when compared to the trip thru a return pump that moves water against gravity (up from below the display).

· Tang Lover
7,898 Posts
Little Luey said:
Your best bet is to find one that is already trained to eat frozen food but it will not be easy.
BEST advice here, in MY opinion.

Or the fuge.

But if your patient...Luey's advice is the way to go. Might take you a while to find one...but MAN...the headache's you'll avoid. heheheh

· Registered
475 Posts
I have a mandarin in a 50 gallon tank. I use a hang-on fudge with LR and cheato. Once a week I take the cheato out and shake it around in the display tank. My mandarin has been in my tank going on 4 months now and fat and happy. They are great fish to watch in the tank. I would not advise it for a tank less the 6 to 8 months old. I got lucky and had some great advise in taking care of my impulse buy.

· Registered
28 Posts
I had one untill last week. I don't believe it but it jumped out of the tank there is only two four inch spots that don't have a brace hanging over them. I never seen him move fast enough to do that. :bawling: Mine was eating my frozen brine when i feed the fish. A very popular fish with tank viewers I will be getting another I would like to get a male and a female and try to mate them. I have a project going now trying to raise some Gold Striped Maroon clowns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.