The Reef Tank banner
2K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  ziggy 
#1 ·
After recent events I have decided that this board will no longer be a benefit to me because of difference of opinions. So due to that fact I will prolly not post or be on here all that much any more. I beleave that this is best for my self and this board. On one last note before I leave all I have to say is how dare you say something about my line of thinking? I have the rite to say what I beleave and yes I beleave that not acclimateing is risky and that I am taking a chance. But I am willing to do that. I have raised all sorts of fw and let me tell ya some thing there are many types of fish in fw that will die real quick from non acclimation. But in my experience with fish in general and all other creatures There is less stress invovled in just matching the water temp and putting them in. If you don't like my words and my thinking I am sorry but I do not like being berated by any one ever. To even imply that I don't care about the lives of the reef is just plain wrong. I care about every living thing That I have in my tank from the bristle worms to the annoying damsels. Another thing before you all spout off at this post is remember I have a 16" long snowflake eel. So anything I put in my tank especialy inverts risk dieing rather quickly. My eel likes to snack on my snails and a couple other choice things that i've tried putting in the tank. And yes I by 5 snails a week for my eel to eat along with other clean up crew.

#2 ·
to each thier own. sorry to see you go. you will be missed. i think you do add value to the forums, i jsut dont agree with your belief in that area, and i dont have to, any more than you have to adopt my belief.

however, for the record i did not imply, that you dont care about them, i simply responded to exactly what you stated in 2 posts. doesn't leave much room for speculation or implication.

originally posted by seamonkey:
I agree that it is a good practice but as for me I'll be willing to take the chance. I meen to me snails hermits and basic clean up crew goes for around 2 buck a piece so I am more willing to take the chance.
---------
I am opposed to acclimation but then again I can afford it if something dies.

#5 ·
I will dare to ask you to reconsider leaving. Many opinions here that may seem to antagonize what I believe, are more an advice than anything else. No negative criticism or lecturing tied to these opinions. From what I've seen around the web, this group gathers a very mature crowd, and a very experienced one too. I have never sensed competition to see who knows more than who, like other places I've visited. On the contrary, there is always someone who jumps in to reply, even if it is not to help, but to give you a thumbs up. Most of the times, it will be to give you a positive advice.
Think again, bud. We're sorry to see you leave for a possible misunderstanding. Typing an idea is not as easy as speaking it.

#6 ·
(quote)I have the rite to say what I beleave (Quote)
sure you do and we have the right to try to point out the flaw , as we see it in your logic. Peersonally I have no problem with you feeding snails or whatever to your eel, but the attitude I do it my way because I can afford it , I find somewhat arrogant.
The board exists to exchange information, techniques and methodology. Not everyone agrees all the time , but we don't throw a snit everytime someone questions us .
I am sorry you feel this way and I do wish you best of luck out there on the big boards

#7 ·
Let's just say for the sake of conversation that it's not about the money and it's not about eating at Red Lobster either.

There will more than likely come a time when you acquire something for your tank that becomes important to you. Something that's rare, unusual, or just special. Something that you wanted to have and took some effort to get, that you are proud of or attached to.

It might just be your tank in general. You've acquired enough animals and critters and you're really proud of your accomplishments and "finally" the tank is looking the way you'd hoped it would.

By not practicing good husbandry, which includes not only acclimation but also quarantine, you're putting the whole ball of wax on the line.

On that note, most smart retailers will check the parameters of their sources and match at least salinity before the order comes in. That way all they have to do is float and dump, because of the reasons that Doug mentioned, low Ph and ammonia poisoning.

#8 ·
Graz makes a great point. "Typing an idea is not a easy as speaking it"

There is no tone, or facial expression in typed words. What may seam to be very harsh words may have been just a very strong difference of opinion. I've re-read some things I've written and thought - I hope they don't take that the wrong way.

I do believe that we assume an enormous amount of responsibility for the lives of our charges when we bring them into an artificial environment - and we should go above and beyond when it comes to husbandry. I am personally looking for any and all constructive criticisim I can get.

My humble opinion.

Ron

#12 ·
Seamonkey,
i hope you didn't take my post on that other thread the wrong way. I really was trying to put my feelings aside and play referee abit. I wanted you see how it made people feel, while I reminded everyone else, that at somepoint we all draw the line at the importance of a life.

Im glad you have changed your mind about the board.

Dave

#13 ·
Glad you're sticking around. I to have had one of those moments where I wanted to get out on one of the larger more flamible boards. In my case it wasn't all that bad though. I'd never found TRT if I hadn't had my 15 minutes of flame.

#14 ·
Cue the Twilight Zone music. I've slipped into another dimension...the RDO sump.

Glad you are not leaving SM over a disagreement, I've found TRT to be the friendliest place on the web.

#15 ·
seamonkey said:
[B hangover wearing off.[/B]
ahhh, the truth comes out.:D i am always cranky after a night of fun.

everyone has opinions, and all opinions are important. it is up to the reader to figure out which fits thier circumstances. i am really sorry you are thinking about leaving.

G~

#16 ·
My personal optinon on things like that, is

"Question my methods, if you can prove it's a bad way, or there is a better way, I'll listen"

Granted I'm about on of the best computer/electronic guys in this area, I'm not going to make everything "MY WAY" I didn't become one of the best by doing things the way I tought was best. I've learned and adapted from advice and ideas of others, You can't become the best unless you adapt and change. Granted again not all advice is good, but it takes trial and error to see what is right. (and occasinaly electrocuting yourself and getting blown accross the room a few times)

#19 ·
seamonkey. i hope you understand i wasn't saying what i said to be rude to you. i was merely voicing my opinion just as you were. i think doug put it best, you have the right to your opinion, and way of thinking, we havea right to voice our opinion of your opinion. and you have a right to voice your opinion of my opinion of your opinion. and i have right to voice my opinion of your opinion of my opinion of your original opinion :funny:

my point is, it's unlikely that yo uwil lchange me, nor will i cahnge you (but i can hope lol) it's no reason to get upset or leave the baord over it.

you are a valuable member here. you ask lots of question, which benefit not only you, but anyone else, that may have had the same question. and you chime in and give help to others when you have the answers they are looking for.

the diveristy and friendliness here is what makes this such a great place. i would never want to be a member of a baord where EVERYONE has the same thought and ideas. many viewpoints are important.

glad you decided to stick around! :beer:

#20 ·
No jay i'm not mad I am going through a rough time rite now and when I am grumpy the slightest thing sets me off into a frenzy. I pretty much acted like a fool. By the way don't be useing that opinion word so much its starting to seem like a tounge twister.:)

#21 ·
My 02... all you folks at this board seem awesome. I have seen far too many other boards...where if someone had posted their unhappiness.... all it did was turn the FLAME up! Like it was a free "open fire" if you will.
Not you folks....impressive... young Sky Walker... very impressive indeed.

#22 ·
**sigh** TRT just flat out is the best board out there! Wish some folks on some other boards I USED to go to would look here to see what appropriate behaviour is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.