The Reef Tank banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 02... all you folks at this board seem awesome. I have seen far too many other boards...where if someone had posted their unhappiness.... all it did was turn the FLAME up! Like it was a free "open fire" if you will.
Not you folks....impressive... young Sky Walker... very impressive indeed.

·
Professional newbie!
489 Posts
**sigh** TRT just flat out is the best board out there! Wish some folks on some other boards I USED to go to would look here to see what appropriate behaviour is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kum Bah Yah my fishy Friend Kum bah yah.
Kum bah yah my reefy friend kum bah yah
Kum bah yah my protien skimmer buying, sump building, snail massaging, coral hugging, RO water tugging Friend kum bah yah

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Well seamonkey I have been where you are now! I have voiced my opinions at times and have had a couple of run-ins on this board and if I may say so one was Doug but I have been here long enough and know him well enough(scarey thought!;) ) that difference are just that nothing more!
Now if I get a chance to meet Doug this summer at Flathead Lake I hope we don't get in a disagreement over what type beer to drink! :funny: Of coarse if I buy I see that not happening! :beer:
You are one of the lucky few to have found this board and the members are the best! They are very helpful and knowledgeable and we have become a family as well which is very unique for a reef forum!
So welcome back and put it behind you and have alot of fun in your quest to have a beautiful tank and we all want the very best for you and your critters! Ok enough jawing for me and no remarks from casey, jay, the two Jeffs, Doug, or anyone else as I have a right to speak my mind!!!:p ;) :dance:

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,740 Posts
wow ive got to jump in here. (not going to comment on the acclimation discussion). i came from one of the big boards after two years of flamethrowing and dodging. hint: sounds like beef ventral. i really got tired of the negativity and the moderators over moderating to the point of dictatorship. these kind of threads make me want to stick around and keep coming back. people come together state their feelings one way or the other. moderators dont close the thread for fear of it developing into a flame war. honesty prevails. posts are positive but direct and dont skirt the issues. i like it alot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey SeaMonkey,

Actually some people believe acculmation can be harmful to some animals. They only float for temperture adjustment.

Their belief is that CO2 builds up in the water in the bag. Thus the pH is dropped some times quite a bit. When you open up the bag and mix in the new water the pH can change by quite a lot as the CO2 is released. Therefore they just move the fish to the tank when they open the bag. They will get a large, quick shift in water conditions anyway.

Not saying this is what I believe, just something believed by others. Some very good fish people.

Ray

·
Administrator
61,132 Posts
RayPollett said:
Hey SeaMonkey,

Actually some people believe acculmation can be harmful to some animals. They only float for temperture adjustment.

Their belief is that CO2 builds up in the water in the bag. Thus the pH is dropped some times quite a bit. When you open up the bag and mix in the new water the pH can change by quite a lot as the CO2 is released. Therefore they just move the fish to the tank when they open the bag. They will get a large, quick shift in water conditions anyway.

Not saying this is what I believe, just something believed by others. Some very good fish people.

Ray
said CO2 accumulation will result in pH drop, lessening the toxic effects of ammonia from urine or gill secretions. This can be especially problematic in fish shipped over 24 hrs or large fish in relatively small bags. Adding water to said bag will raise pH and the ammonia can cause serious gill damage, so temp match and get them in clean water asap.
This problem is less pronounced in inverts, however as I stated in other post some , like snails and stars have sensitive bio mechanisms that don't respond well to sudden changes in salinity.
SM stated that the LFS near him all have param similar to his, the closer the better for sure. Hell I take my Sea Test hydrometer with me to check store after checking my tank.
As is true with alot of this hobby there are several approaches to the same place, the trick is to understand why what your doing works the way it does :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.