The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
49,398 Posts
(quote)I have the rite to say what I beleave (Quote)
sure you do and we have the right to try to point out the flaw , as we see it in your logic. Peersonally I have no problem with you feeding snails or whatever to your eel, but the attitude I do it my way because I can afford it , I find somewhat arrogant.
The board exists to exchange information, techniques and methodology. Not everyone agrees all the time , but we don't throw a snit everytime someone questions us .
I am sorry you feel this way and I do wish you best of luck out there on the big boards

·
Administrator
49,398 Posts
RayPollett said:
Hey SeaMonkey,

Actually some people believe acculmation can be harmful to some animals. They only float for temperture adjustment.

Their belief is that CO2 builds up in the water in the bag. Thus the pH is dropped some times quite a bit. When you open up the bag and mix in the new water the pH can change by quite a lot as the CO2 is released. Therefore they just move the fish to the tank when they open the bag. They will get a large, quick shift in water conditions anyway.

Not saying this is what I believe, just something believed by others. Some very good fish people.

Ray
said CO2 accumulation will result in pH drop, lessening the toxic effects of ammonia from urine or gill secretions. This can be especially problematic in fish shipped over 24 hrs or large fish in relatively small bags. Adding water to said bag will raise pH and the ammonia can cause serious gill damage, so temp match and get them in clean water asap.
This problem is less pronounced in inverts, however as I stated in other post some , like snails and stars have sensitive bio mechanisms that don't respond well to sudden changes in salinity.
SM stated that the LFS near him all have param similar to his, the closer the better for sure. Hell I take my Sea Test hydrometer with me to check store after checking my tank.
As is true with alot of this hobby there are several approaches to the same place, the trick is to understand why what your doing works the way it does :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.