The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit to having different varieties of macro's in the 'fuge? Just wondering if I should add some diversity.

I have feather calerpa right now. Any others suggested?

·
Registered
822 Posts
In general, my opinion would be yes, but I guess it really depends on why you're growing the macroalgaes.

If you're using the macroalgaes primarily for nutrient export, then my understanding is that the faster growing varieties like Caulerpa are better for that. Although I've also read that xenia may be even better than Caulerpa at trapping nutrients and exporting them if you frag the xenia now and then and give it away. Thats why I have some xenia growing in my refugium. However, there are problems with Caulerpa (going sexual. leaking nutrients back into the system, etc..). So, I'd be reluctant having only Caulerpa in a macroalgae tank.

Chaetomorpha also usually does a good job at removing nitrates, although it doesn't grow as fast as Caulerpa. And I don't have any hard data on this, but the pods seem to love it. My Chaetamorpha is crawling with pods. Don't have a clue as to why. Maybe they just like it as a substrate to crawl around on, maybe they're obtaining some nutrient from it, I don't know.

If you want some macroalgae to feed to Tangs and such, most like some Gracillaria. But again it doesn't grow as fast, and if you feed it back to the fish you're not removing nutrients from your system.

And if you want the macroalgae to stabilize pH by absorbing CO2 (using a reverse daylight lighting schedule) and add oxygen, that would be dependent on photosynthetic rates, which my guess would be more dependent on the refugium lighting than species of macroalgae.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want the macroalgae to perform just one function, pick a species that's better suited for that. If you want it to perform a variety of functions, go for more diversity. In my refugium, I have predominantly Chetomorpha, and a lesser amount of C. racemosa ( despite my efforts to cull it out, it keeps coming back), in addition to a small amount of Ulva and Halimeda. I'm also trying a little red gracillaria, but it doesn't seem to be growing too well in my system. Hope that helps, and sorry if I ramble on too much. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.