The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone in the Macon, Georgia area, who is very knowledgeable about tank setups.
I have a 150g with a micro bubble problem.
I would be willing to pay to have someone find and correct the problem.
I have tried everything I know, and still have micro bubbles.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There are three of us that live down here in or near Macon.

I would be willing to come over and check it out (free of charge).

E-mail or PM or call me after 5:30 pm most nights 478-945-2240

Charles

·
Registered
52 Posts
If Charles offers free assistance, take him up on it. He is "all knowledgable" and has been a tremendous help to me. I'd love to help with your setup also, I've only been at this for 8-9 months, but still would like to help

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I am assuming you are worried mostly for aesthtic reasons, or am I missing something?
I betcha Charles will figure it out. Of course I probably just jinxed him.
First figure out where it is coming from. My normal impulse is to check the skimmer, since in my tank , a skimmer setting off is the normal cause, especially if I have been lazy and forgot to empty the cup. My second impulse is to check my sump return and see if the problem is in or outside the sump. Normally outside of my skimmer, my return pump and/or my circulation powerhead in my sump is the possible problem in the sump. Or it can be any of my 2 powerheads or my HOT filter (if it is on).

Ray

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.
As for the pump: I use a GRI for my sump as well as my closed loop system. Each pump is rated for 1500 gph. I traded the pumps and still have the problem. No bubbles from my closed loop system, so that rules out the pump.
I have triple sealed all joints coming from the sump to the pump. There are several joints because, my sump is not drilled it is a 55g tank set up as a sump and fuge. I also have it tied into my makeup salt water storage tank for easy water changes.
I installed a foam sponge around the pickup pipe in the sump.
I installed sponges in my bubble wall system.
I have tried running the tank without the skimmer and still had bubbles.
Today I reworked my Durso standpipes on the off chance that the vent hole was to large and thus sucking in to much air. I did this because my return line from tank puts out a lot of bubbles. After the changes, no improvement.
I have a UV hooked up to the discharge side of the pump with a ball valve to adjust the flow into the UV. Tommorrow I will unhook the UV and see if that is the problem.
Once again thanks for your response and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ray1214 said:
I betcha Charles will figure it out. Of course I probably just jinxed him.
Well I looked at Pamsreef and gave her a 5 second $.25 solution that solved her micro bubble problem. Hopefully this one will be as easy.

I appreciate everyones vote of confidance I'll try and not let you guys down.

Dennis --- I got your PM and will call either tonight or tomorrow night. Probably tonight.

Charles

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am having the same problem....bubbles in the tank and it makes the tank look cloudy....it's very frustsrating. I know the problem is coming from the skimmer because they disappar when the skimmer is off. I have a very small sump and not much room in it. The skimmer output is fairly close to the return. There is really no room for baffles. Charles what was your solution to Pam's?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Pam's return pump was external and bulkheaded into the sump. The pump created a vortex and sucked air from the sump water surface. ---- To solve the problem she installed a 90 degree elbow into the bulkhead fitting inside the sump. Point the elbow down so now the pump is drawing water directly off the bottom of the sump. No vortex is created and problem was solved.

Denis' problem was most likely a small pinhole air leak on the intake part of the plumbing between the sump and the pump. He is going to redo that part of the plumbing and we'll know if that solved the problem in a day or so. If not I do have a couple of other ideas to try.

Sally -- neither of the above solutions will work although something similar to Pam's might help out. --- My other idea would be to put a glass jar in your sump that is the same height as the sump water level or just slightly taller. The fattest jar that will fit. Have your skimmer output go into the glass jar. The water will naturally overflow out of the glass jar and into the sump. In the process all the water/micro-air-bubbles will have to come to the surface to go over the jar and into the sump. Hopefully the micro-bubbles will come out of the water in the process. This is sort of a portable baffle system for your skimmer output.

If that didn't make any sense you can allways call me at home and I'll try and explain it over the phone 478-945-2240.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts