The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m planning on cleaning my whole hose today, especially the concrete floor around my tank. Will using "Lysol all purpose cleaner" be safe to use diluted in water to mop the floor?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
No house hold spray chemicals are safe around the tank. Think of it as a Gaint sponge anything in the air is in your water.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
what is the best way to clean glass, since you brought it up? i usually use a towel or so to scrub it down till its nearly polished... any other ways that might be easier on my wimpy muscles?

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I have seen some use Windex and from what i can tell is they put a little on the towel before wiping the glass. They dont spray it on the glass. And only use a little on the towel.

I have been using a Coralife Glass cleaner that you get from the LFS or any online fish store like www.marinedepot.com I got a bunch of this stuff for free and have been using it since and like it alot.

Tim

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Tim224DT said:
I have seen some use Windex and from what i can tell is they put a little on the towel before wiping the glass. They dont spray it on the glass. And only use a little on the towel.

I have been using a Coralife Glass cleaner that you get from the LFS or any online fish store like www.marinedepot.com I got a bunch of this stuff for free and have been using it since and like it alot.

Tim
not really helping tim unless your giving some away!! (hint hint... wink wink.)

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
leveldrummer said:
what is the best way to clean glass, since you brought it up? i usually use a towel or so to scrub it down till its nearly polished... any other ways that might be easier on my wimpy muscles?
I use ammonia free glass cleaner, but I am very careful.

I think the best way is with vinegar/water and newspaper.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've been useing just plain water, I apply it to the glass with a window washers spunge and then squeegie it off with a window washers squeegie. It makes quick work of it and I like the results.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
RO/DI water works GREAT! No impurities, so it leaves NO streaks!!

(Same concept behind Mr. Clean's car wash thingie.)

I use RO/DI water to clean everything...windows...mirrors...cars...etc. Dries and doesn't leave spots/streaks!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skeety said:
RO/DI water works GREAT! No impurities, so it leaves NO streaks!!

(Same concept behind Mr. Clean's car wash thingie.)

I use RO/DI water to clean everything...windows...mirrors...cars...etc. Dries and doesn't leave spots/streaks!
I never thought of that - good idea- but it would be expensive for me because i have no ro/ di units

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i use plain water on a paper towel squeezed out
then i use a dry paper towel so i dont get spots :)

the glass is squeeky clean and i dont have to worry about anything toxic
of course i can be a total freak and use RO water to clean the glass :lol:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wiskey said:
I still clean the glass of my tank with windex, every tank, always have.

Whiskey
So have I. So why is it bad exactly? It's not like the fish doesn't produce ammonia themselves. I'm not pouring a shot of Windex in the tank or anything nor have I noticed anything close up or float to the surface and die. I don't get it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts