The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now on my second set of 175W Metal Halide light Bulbs from LSE Inc on e-bay. I did my reasearch on the cheaper bulb companies and herd many good things about LSE Inc. I went with the 10k first, looked good, much brighter than the ones I had in there previously and the corals went through a growth spert. After a few months, I am not sure if it was a snail covering the pump discharge from my sump ( when they do this the water sprays ) or if it was a fish that splashed it but one of the bulbs broke from the water getting on it. It never smashed and still ran but the glass was all cracked. So right away I e-maild Art at LSE inc and he sent me 2 More 14k this time for 38.00 shipping included. the tank looks amazing, and I know it will even look better after the 100hr break in period. Below is a pic of the tank. I will post some more as soon as I find my wife's D300 but for now a iphone pick.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
they are ok but do not last very long....
I have tries a few different colors and non lasted more than a few months.
They just really loose their punch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had the 10k's for about 3 months before the fish broke the one and they were still bright, when I look at the element it is hardly burned in. I guess only time will tell but compared to 70 a bulb I could replace these every 6 months and still be ahead of the game

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Brightness really has nothing to do with it.

Looking at your tank I do not see any SPS so more than likely you will be fine with those bulbs.

One other issue I has was after a while the spectrum shifted

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have 1 small acro frag, well it was 1 but I turned it into 3 up in the top left of the tank. Still looking for my wife's camera to take some better pics she will be home soon :eek:) but when I baught this ballast of of craigslist it came with 2 bulbs that he said were only a couple months old. They were 15k a brand that I have not herd of. the tank was very blue and I could tell that the par was not very good. The acro frag was not doing to well, with some dieing tissue. I purchaced the new 10k's from LSE inc and fragged the dead stuff of of the acro and it is now looking happy, all the pollyps are out and the bases are encrusting over the puddy I used to stick them. Again time will tell, and I do plan on getting some more SPS But the tank is still pretty new only about 6 months old. The RTBA I have had in the tank now for about a month and he is looking great, params are all stable so I am close to buying a few more SPS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any updates on the bulbs I am thinking very hard about trying them out. I spent the money on Hamilton's 14K back in december and they were great until about a month ago one started changing the color spectrum on me and is now a totally different color then the other. I even tried switching them around thinking a ballist was going out and it was just the bulb so needless to say if these will last 6 months and are half the price I'm all about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the Delayed responce, I was out of town for a bit. I have been running these bulbs for about a year now, well about 6 months on the ones on the tank right now. I changed from the 10k to the 14k. Had a mishap with one of the bulbs to close to the water and the water splashed on it and broke it. I now have a 125 gal, upgraded from the 55gal. So I have the 2 175W 14k on either side and a 250W 14k in the middle. I have a some more SPS now as well, ORA Birdsnest, Orange Monti Cap, Mars Red Planet, Fuzzy Marshall yellow, and 3 Acro's that I am not sure the name of. the Acro and the red planet I have up top the monti cap I have at the Bottom close to the sand and the birdsnest and others I have about mid way. All are showing great growth and great pollyp extenstion. I am very satisfied with these bulbs. I am not running any actinic at all, the only lights on the tank are the 3 MH from LSE Inc. I don't have a par meter but judging by my corals they seem to be doing pretty well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been using them too for about 5 months now. Switched from Hamilton 14K to LSE 10K and my corals are growing great under them (sometimes, I think they are growing too fast as having to frag the caps frequently to keep them in check). Time will tell if they last as long but so far I am pretty happy with them - couldn't really tell the difference and at less than 1/2 the price....

I also have 4x80W T-5 actinics or the 10K would be too white for my taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts