The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55G is 6 months old and I've got a bit of red slime I want to eliminate. Reading various threads its been suggested that with a protien skimmer and plenty of LR the sponges in the cannister filter are probably doing more harm than good.
So I just cleaned the cannister(Rena Filstar XP2) and removed the sponges and put back in operation for the water flow. Is this correct?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I've always had a canister on my reefs.But I do alot of maintanace all the time.But if you didn't clean them often, then I'd agree with them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You might want to use some of the space you freed up (if any) for products such as PolyFilter (see drsfostersmith.com for info), other specialized media, or activated carbon.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
red slime as in cyano?
what is in your tank?
turn up the skimmer to give you a wet skim.
yes you dont need the sponges, unless you want to break it down at least once a week. As suz's said add carbon to it. and use as extra flow.
tell us a bit more about your tank.
parameters?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes red slime as in cyano. 50G fish and coral, 2 clowns a lemonpeel dwarf angel and a dwarf flame angel cleaner shrimp and pepermint shrimp, 50 lbs live rock, aqua c remora HOB skimmer about 6 snails and a half dozen corals (leathers,mushrooms,polyps and an open brain.

water temp 80F amonia-0,nitites-0,nitrates 10,ph 8.3, salinity1.23 thats all I know. Thanks for your help. Everybody has been great on this site. The guy at the LFS gives very little help, I might make it in this hobby thanks to the people here!!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
nitrates 10!!!
that is too high. time for a good cleaning. do a water change, vacumme out the cyano.. clean the skimmer good and make sure it is working 100%.
how often do you feed?. 2-3 a week ?
you may have to vacumme the cyano every other day or so. so make up water as you can.
also what water are you using? tap water or RO water?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree with Tim , Your goal for Nitrate 0 , You can have that and that is what You want. It makes me want to check my nitrate now as I always have 0 nitrates . but I do alot of water changes . I have gone alittle longer this time as I am getting ready for vacation and want to do a little more before I go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts