The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an additional 45 lbs of Fiji select premium rock arriving tomorrow, it is said to be cured but I want an alternate suggestions on curing it, Option 1, I was planning on putting it in a bucket with water from my existing tank after my water change, and curing it there with a powerhead and heater, changing half the water weekly. or option 2 I just put together a QT tank it currectly has nothing but new water, a powerhead and heater, 29g is it better to do it there then after it is cured and I move it to my 125 can I keep the water it was cured in the QT for any new fish that i plan on QTing, help which option?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i would go with the QT option, not sure if you can keep the water, but that way everything cycles and your ready to go.

·
Registered
111 Posts
live aquaria is great. I have 45 lbs of it also in my 29 gallon tank. My tank is honestly looking mint. Had it for about 6 months now and for being a newbie to reef keeping you would be surprised to see how my tank looks. As far as keeping the same water that in the tank you will be curing it in. You can keep most of it. I did when starting my tank though I did do about a third water change. If its cured then its cured. That means its not giving off any more pollutants from any die-off because there is no more die-off. So yes you should be abloe to use the water. Just to make sure test for your nitrates. I'll send you some pictures of my tank soon.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
got any pics?
Raccio said:
live aquaria is great. I have 45 lbs of it also in my 29 gallon tank. My tank is honestly looking mint. Had it for about 6 months now and for being a newbie to reef keeping you would be surprised to see how my tank looks. As far as keeping the same water that in the tank you will be curing it in. You can keep most of it. I did when starting my tank though I did do about a third water change. If its cured then its cured. That means its not giving off any more pollutants from any die-off because there is no more die-off. So yes you should be abloe to use the water. Just to make sure test for your nitrates. I'll send you some pictures of my tank soon.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Even tho its cured if it is out of water there could be more die off. You may get a mini cycle. I would recommend rinsing the rock in aquarium water some to get off any debri.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No no meds have been added to the QT tank, I have just been feeding it daily with a pinch of food, it is BB, so from what I see putting it there is the best option. Then afterwards I will move the rocks to my125 and do a water change on the QT to preserve it for newly arriving livestock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't plan on putting anything copper or meds in the tank until after I remove the rocks and then only if needed.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Put the rocks in a seperate tank, maybe the QT, with water from the display tank. throw in a powerhead or too and I reccommend throwing in a cheap skimmer like a skilter or nano skimmer,or visa jet and curing the rock for a few weeeks like this.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i received the same shipment from live aquaria about a month ago
45 lbs select primium fiji
i never cured it or even rinsed it, i just added it straight from the box into my 55 gallon tank
theres not much die off from these rocks and not much debri
it did a mini cycle only, the amonia never got past 0.50 ppm
i left the lights on from day one just as if i had coral, never went through hair algae only diatoms which im still getting
amonia is now at 0

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pastina how do you like the rock, my girlfriend said it arrived but I am at work, and as far as putting directly inot my tank, my tank is currently clearing up from Sundays rock addition that my LFS sold to me, I am not willing to take that chance, but I will smell and inspect the rock when I get home. as it was traveling for 2 days i am sure it will need recuring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the rock it is better than the rock I purchased from the LFS, I rinsed the rock in the water from the QT tank and placed all of it in the QT tank with a heater and powerhead, Sunday put some of the water in a bucket clean the rock off in it again, and I will do a 50% water change and clean the bottom of then tank, and do the same at 4 day intervals checking the water parameters before each water change, even as I would like to place it in my tank I will not until it is ready, as the rock I put in the 125 Sunday is giving me the browns :) I will make a 10 percent water change on that tank tomorrow, as it will be the first change since running 1 month

1 - 15 of 15 Posts