The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have 25 lbs of cultured figi rock in my 45 gallon tank now..........i want to do about 50 lbs ........the cycle just ended ...........i want to add more lr but with out effecting the nitrites or ammonea..........luckly the store i get it from www.thatfishplace.com has then in tank curing.... although you still have to look and check i have never got a bad rock or a 99.99% cured rock..........never the less i dont want anything to spike in my tank............i am thinking of doing 10 lbs at a time 5-7 day intervals.........at that point i will have enough rock.....

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Buy a rubbermaid tub and put the live rock in there along with a powerhead and a small heater. Do it this way and you have no worries. Your way you might be ok or you might not.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
theplatypus said:
Buy a rubbermaid tub and put the live rock in there along with a powerhead and a small heater. Do it this way and you have no worries. Your way you might be ok or you might not.

I also agree with this , It is best once the tank is up and running to have your live rock cured if You add to it. One other thing I have been doing and it take time is not only cure the rock but cook it is the dark and do weekly water changes to it, I have been cooking rock for about a month already and do weekly water changes , filter and skimmer on the tub it's in and skimmer and total dark. Here is a good link on cooking rock.http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66551

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
even though it is cured their.( which we will be heading to soon!!)
you can still have a mini cycle when you leave the shop adn go head home .. since the tank is still new just pick up what you need and add it in..as long as you keep it damp to wet on the drive home ( yours is rather short) you may not see much if anything change at all.. by doing it a little at a time you chance a mini cycle each time you add the LR..
i also reccommend adding some PVC lifts for under the LR , that way you have a bit more stablity and flow under the LR

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
25 lbs is nothing just add it in especially if you have nothing in the tank right now fish or coral wise,you can control any spike at all with a Water change.If you have any fish in there cure it in a seperate container.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts