The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 30" orbit 2x65w pc for my 29 gallon tank that I am trying to put together. Can't post a link to the descripton but it supposedly have parabolic reflectors if that makes a difference.

Other than soft corals, what kind of LPS corals can I keep? Is there some sort of chart to use as reference?
thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, how much flow for a power head should i be using? I have a HOB filter that rated 400 gph. I was thinking of hanging it in the back on one end and then place a powerhead on the other end. I would like to only get one powerhead for now. I was looking at the koralia. Should I get the koralia 1 (400 gph) or the koralia 2 (600 gph) for lps corals.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Well PC bulbs don't have a parabolic option, so I would be really surprised if you do have them. T5 bulbs are so popular because that's the option to get parabolic reflectors. Can you tell us what brand and model number it is?

Regarding flow, I don't think you'll have too much with a koralia 2, so start with one of those. Honestly, you may find yourself adding another, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well PC bulbs don't have a parabolic option, so I would be really surprised if you do have them. T5 bulbs are so popular because that's the option to get parabolic reflectors. Can you tell us what brand and model number it is?

Regarding flow, I don't think you'll have too much with a koralia 2, so start with one of those. Honestly, you may find yourself adding another, and it should be fine.
I did not receive the light yet. So can't really confirm what it has or what it hasn't. I can't post links yet but if you go to marinedepot.com under PC Lights for Current USA Orbit the item number is CU01022. The light is

30 inch 2x65 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture

"A German parabolic reflector, coupled with our revolutionary dual phosphor SunPaq lamps, produces stunning output—the highest in the industry.European Design
Sleek, contoured European design, great for any application, enhances the appearance of your aquarium both inside and out. "

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
Since you didn't get it yet,I recomend you go with T-5 lighting.It's cheaper in the long run more you can have in your tank and cooler running.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I did not receive the light yet. So can't really confirm what it has or what it hasn't. I can't post links yet but if you go to marinedepot.com under PC Lights for Current USA Orbit the item number is CU01022. The light is

30 inch 2x65 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture

"A German parabolic reflector, coupled with our revolutionary dual phosphor SunPaq lamps, produces stunning output—the highest in the industry.European Design
Sleek, contoured European design, great for any application, enhances the appearance of your aquarium both inside and out. "
its a parabolic reflector just not individual parabolic reflectors. I have the single 96w version on my 30 gallon planted tank. I switched to T5s on my 30 long reef. While I have a single reflector and not individual reflectors that get the full benefit of T5, I went t5 for longer bulb life

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
oh, and to answer your question, depending on tank position I believe you can keep most LPS in the tank. I had the same setup on a 29 years ago and kept LPS and a single SPS. THe SPS however only survived and never really grew or thrived.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you didn't get it yet,I recomend you go with T-5 lighting.It's cheaper in the long run more you can have in your tank and cooler running.
I already got the light but waiting for it to ship. My first option was T5s ho but I got the light for what I think is a fairly good deal that's why. So I'd figure I'll just make do with this light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, and to answer your question, depending on tank position I believe you can keep most LPS in the tank. I had the same setup on a 29 years ago and kept LPS and a single SPS. THe SPS however only survived and never really grew or thrived.
So, you had this same setup. It's hard finding lights for the 29 gallon. Well at least hard finding an affordable one. What can I keep if I just place some on the sand floor vs on the rocks?
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I built a custom hood and used retro fit kits so idk about lights not fitting. With 2 65s you are going to want most of your corals up on rocks. I never really tried putting much in the sand. I had a bubble coral very low in the tank for awhile but moved it up higher. Its also been about five years since I had that tank and unfortunatly my memory is a little fuzzy from undergrad! :hammerhead::pint:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So, you think that I'll eventually have to get two powerheads? Does the 400gph HOB filter not account for anything? Also, do you think the Koralia 2 is too much for a 29 gallon? thanks

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I am currently setting up a 30 long nano reef and when I asked about the koralias I was advised the K2 was about the right size but I might even want 2 of em. I will get it in the mail tomorrow so I will tell you how it goes. My tank is longer and thinner but not drastically so. the HOB filter adds very little water movement in a tank compared to a powerhead. You can use them when figuring your gph of filtering but not really in gph of flow. Th ewater out of a HOB is not coming out with any force. good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am currently setting up a 30 long nano reef and when I asked about the koralias I was advised the K2 was about the right size but I might even want 2 of em. I will get it in the mail tomorrow so I will tell you how it goes. My tank is longer and thinner but not drastically so. the HOB filter adds very little water movement in a tank compared to a powerhead. You can use them when figuring your gph of filtering but not really in gph of flow. Th ewater out of a HOB is not coming out with any force. good luck
Thanks. I was about to just get one K2 and maybe in the future get another powerhead but now I'm thinking maybe it would be better to get two K1 instead.

·
*Assume something witty*
638 Posts
Hey, pigtail. I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but what did you finally end up with? I have a HOB protein skimmer on my 30G long tank which provides next to no flow. I had two K1s in there which provided some flow, but no a lot. I ended up adding a K4 in addition to the two k1s. Boy do I have flow now! I'm almost afraid it might be too much, but I've already spent the money on the K4 and the LFS will not take it back since it's already wet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
wow, nobody ever answered the original question, seems it got to be a flow thread instead what he could keep under 130w pc fixture

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the same set up. currently have SPS under the light flourishing.

Start with a frag, try it. (thats what I did)

change your bulbs out every six months (important)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts