The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just bought an LPS Coral about two weeks ago and I am pretty sure it is dying. I am new with Coral's and have pretty much stayed with a fish only tank until now. I would just like to know if the coral is already dead or if there is a chance it can recover, if it can i would love to get all the advice i can on how to save it. I have a 46 gallon tank with a 10 gallon tank used for a sump with a Kent reactor and a Sea Storm protein skimmer in it. The Kent reactor currently has Kent Power Phos GFO in it. The parameters for the tank are: Phosphates .5 ppm, Calcium around 480 ppm, PH 8.4, KH 240 ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 60 ppm and i do not have a magnesium test kit yet. I plan on doing a water change in the morning and changing out the GFO in the reactor. I know that the nitrate and phosphates are high and was wondering if this is the main reason for the coral looking like it is. If there is anything else i can do to correct my parameters please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a picture of the coral so maybe ya'll can tell if it is possible that it will make it or if it is already dead. I honestly have no idea what kind of lighting i have or if it is even remotely close to what i need but i will type what is on the light: the brand on the top is AquaticLife and there is one blue and one white bulb. They are both 39 watts and the white one says T5 HO on it and the blue one says super blue wave. Like i said i am clueless when it comes to lighting.haha Thanks for any help and here is some pictures of the coral that i just took.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Looks like recession. Not dead yet move it closer to lighting what kind of flow do you have do you use tap or ro/di? Imo run some ac and replace gfo do at least 20% wc weekly or biweekly if you can. Keep temp near 80. I would also suggest a lugols dip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the flow i have a 1200 maxi jet on one side and a Hydra Koralia Evolution 1050 on the other. I bought an RO/DI filter from Bulk Reef Supply the day before yesterday so today will be my first WC with the RO/DI water. Thanks for the advice on the Lugol's dip, I will try that next week as soon as i can get it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts