The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having issue with low ph, got new reef keeper and now realize ph kinda low. always tested with basic test but colors hard to read. double check calibration on prode and it is right on . Ph reading 7.33 , my KH is 11 and calcium almost 500 , ph stable from night to day have reverse ligthing on sump with live algea in there. have purchase Kent superbuffer trying that. Any other solutions or remedies and how fast should I raise Ph back up? used Kent for two days now per directions up to 7.49 now.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
having same issue. I have read that running your skimmer air line outside helps, but this isnt an option for me. I dose kalk in my ATO and that brought mine up slightly but not significant. maybee one of those methods will work for you. If not maybee someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also heard that but not really option for me also. But there is lot of traffic in and out of house so i dont believe I have co2 issue in house. I was going to try the kalk but it is really just a low PH issue calcium is always near 500 on test. corals doing fine and growing but still would like to get up for there long term sucess

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I really like the kalk. It keeps my levels perfect really. I only have to dose maybee once a month. If you have alot of CA demanding corals though its prolly not for you.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks, i will continue to use this superbuffer till its gone and see if that works its going up but slowly direction say add once a day but i may try every 12 hours its only going up .1 every day at this rate it will take a week to reach 8.0

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
just cause folks go in and out of the home does not mean you don't have high co2 levels in there. also your alk is balanced with about 440 cal...so you have way too much cal to alk...500 cal is balanced with about 16 dKH.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may try running temp line across floor and outside as a test to see if that helps. but as a long term solution there is no way to do that. If that does not do anything then what else could it be? And if it does work how soon and fast should the ph go up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I may ask if alk,amm,nitrate,cal,and mag are all within acceptable range then why be concerned? If your livestock is ok, just leave it be. Adding or subtracting supplements/additives to try and correct ph will cause more problems in the long run.

My advice would be slowly lower cal to 450, alk at 9-10, and maintain those from there and everything will thrive.

Fwiw, unless ph goes above 8.8 you shouldn't worry

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mg is one of the things that need to be inline to assure all is well,What is the reading for that and what sg do you keep your water at?As for running an airline outside that will only be helpful if that line has a fairly short run to fresh air. Even if you can do that dont expect ph to rise more then .5 with .3 being more likely. Look up co2 scrubber,its a simple cheap thing to do that accomplishes the same thing without plumbing fresh air into the skimmer.For the high ca,if you are dosing any ca product then stop that,low 400s would be a more balanced number. for the big 3 you would want to see ca400,mg 1200 to 1300,alk 10 if you have those in that range the ph will be much closer to optimum if you correct the high indoor co2 problem.The buffer you are using will only temporarily raise the ph.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im running .026 salinity, calcium is between 450 and 500 never dose any calcium supliments. o on the ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates, no phosphates at last test . i do by weekly waterchanges and clean filter sockes every other day . I do try to keep a spotless tank. everything perfect except the ph . Have not heard that to high calcium a bad thing is it?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
high calcium isnt "bad" It will cause the corals to grow. Traditionaly this ismt bad but the coral is growing to fast at higher calcium levels. It will make the coral focus on growing more than focusing on the health of the coral. they will be weak and may not be able to bounce back from and swings or mishaps. its like some one who has a pituitery problem. they grow so fast that their body and bones cant keep up. leading to a sickly individual.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks , just check Ph creeping back down to 7.3 buffer only keeping up for a few hours. AHHHH!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If I may ask if alk,amm,nitrate,cal,and mag are all within acceptable range then why be concerned? If your livestock is ok, just leave it be. Adding or subtracting supplements/additives to try and correct ph will cause more problems in the long run.

My advice would be slowly lower cal to 450, alk at 9-10, and maintain those from there and everything will thrive.

Fwiw, unless ph goes above 8.8 you shouldn't worry
One reason to be concerned with PH is calcium carbonate and it's ability to bind with phosphate...at a PH of 8.2-8.4 phosphates bind more effectively to rocks and substrate, at 7.4 or getting lower it gets released as the carbonate dissolves at that lowered PH.
I agree with the calcium needing to be lower.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
im running .026 salinity, calcium is between 450 and 500 never dose any calcium supliments. o on the ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates, no phosphates at last test . i do by weekly waterchanges and clean filter sockes every other day . I do try to keep a spotless tank. everything perfect except the ph . Have not heard that to high calcium a bad thing is it?
high calcium suppresses alk levels...balanced better and less is utilized and your pH is better maintained.
Run some hose from your skimmer airline outside...you probably be able to watch the PH rise kinda quickly(an hour or two, but, monitor it for a day to see).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i opened all windows this moring with in 20 min. it went from 7.27 to 7.42 and still climbimg. but cant leave windows open and cant run airline outside. Tank far from exterior walls and pest service sprays outside of house very month. what other solutions are there. Co2 scrubber? how do i lower calcium I dont add it to tank?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i opened all windows this moring with in 20 min. it went from 7.27 to 7.42 and still climbimg. but cant leave windows open and cant run airline outside. Tank far from exterior walls and pest service sprays outside of house very month. what other solutions are there. Co2 scrubber? how do i lower calcium I dont add it to tank?
Yeah, co2 scrubber...to save money make your own...you can get soda lime from dive shops or online...
Many run their air line to their garage or up to your attic may work as well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
my alk levels are high also
not for the amount of cal you have...best way to reduce it is with water changes that have less cal/alk than the tank. No worries right now, your open window experiment is showing you the reason for the suppressed PH. Having the cal up at 500 won't kill anything, but, to better balance the tank, get the cal down to 420-430 and alk about 8-9 dKH. Keep the alk at 11dKH for now till the cal starts getting below about 450 then you can either lower both or keep the tank at about 11dKH and 440 cal.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Co2 scrubbers are said to work well and brs carries one for about 30 bucks. The media is about 40 bucks a gallon and depending on the co2 in the air can be used up fairly quick. High cal can come from you water sourse if you aren't using rodi. Reef specific salts have elevated ca as well so if you are using that you could try io whic may be lower in ca. I know when my house is properly aerated with open windows the ph goes .5 or a bit higher depending on the humidity of the outside air.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts