The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been batteling a low ph around 8.0 (dips to 7.9 at night), and a high kh around 13-14 for the past month. Cannot seem to get it right. Anything I seem to use fixes one and offsets the other. I have read so much information and probably more confused than educated now. Someone told me to just simply add Baking Soda and your ph will rise, w/o affecting your kh. But I have heard mixed things about adding baking soda.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I would discourage you to do the baking soda thing, as it is a "quick fix," and will probably create more problems than it will solve in the long run. Are you dosing anything to try to manage the problem? (Like B-Ionic) What have you tried?

I'll admit that I'm not the expert, but more information about the situation may help others.

Danielle

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
hmm...

does that mean he should increase the C02 bubble count?

Also...how do you know if your reactor is c02 saturated? I've always got bubbles at the top of my reactor it seems, and wondering if I'm wasting c02 that's not going into solution in the reactor column. But my bubble count is only 2-3 bubbles/sec., and that's not fast at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not running a CO2 reactor.

I have been adding Kent CB part A & B. But my calcium (approx 360-380) and Mag (1,150 and climbing) have been low, so I have been adding some Turbo Cal and Mag to the tank to bring the levels up. Also, I been adding the Superbuffer dkH at night to try to correct the low ph. But, I feel like it is increasing my kh, which was 13 today. The ph is 8.14.

I am so confused as to what to do and I feel like I am adding way too much to the tank. But I really have no idea how to bring up the ph and lower my kh. I understand the mechanics, but at a loss for a solution.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
What I was thinking is that a CO2 build up, with or without a reactor, will drive your Ph down. Even with high alk. It's just more common with a reactor because if you're not careful, you can add too much CO2 to the system.
The cure is more surface agitation/circulation and sometimes a bigger skimmer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great article. That is actually one of the best I have seen.

Thanks.

I will it, hopefully my ph will adjust accordingly as I set by other parameters.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Just curious, how are you measuring your pH, and what time of day and how often are you doing your measurement? If you're using a kit, which brand?

What is your salinity and how are you measuring it?

Are your corals doing well?

What kind of circulation do you have, and do you use a skimmer?

Do you have a lot of macroalgae, and/or a good coating of coralline algae?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are you measuring your pH?

Pinpoint Monitor. Range is 7.9 in Morning to 8.06 in Evening

What is your salinity and how are you measuring it?

Refactometer - 1.025

Are your corals doing well?

Yes

Feather Duster
Green Spotted Mushrooms
Green Hammer and Purple Hammer
Cabbage Leather
Clove Polyps
Xenia pulsing
Bubble tip anemone
Maroon footed anemone
2 Sebae anemones
2 Mangroves in refugium

What kind of circulation do you have, and do you use a skimmer?

Aqua C Remora protein skimmer w/ a Maxi Jet 1200
Rainbow Lifeguard Fluidized Bed Filter with pump
2 Maxi Jet 900 for circulation
20 gallon refugium w/ Mag 3 pump for return
UV Light
60lbs LR
2 1/2 to 3" sandbed with lots of critters
2 Coral Life Lights (10,000K and a Trichromatic 6,500K)

Do you have a lot of macroalgae, and/or a good coating of coralline algae?

Moderate

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Spanky said:
hmmmmm... ...If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
Me either Spanks, although I would be suspect of the subject tank pH readings at this point. I don't know if you follow a regular maintenance on the pH probe but here is a thread on the topic. The probes should be replaced every 18 months, as well as routinely maintained and recalibrated mimimally every 3 months in tanks with high calcium usage and heavy Coral and coralline growth.

My personal recommendation would be not to worry if the corals look good. Don't do anything drastic at this point, rather, reevaluate every few days so long as the corals look good. Treat the tank, not the numbers, and do the probe maintenance as per the above referenced thread. Wouldn't hurt to go with the battery power supply on the Pinpoint if you use the AC adapter, as stray voltage will skew the values of the meter. If you use a battery, try changing it every month, and replace the one you have in the meter now as well. Many folks find that just doing the maintenance makes a world of difference in the readings.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. I take back what I saying. My Green Hammer is disintgrating as we speak. I am getting really worried. I can't get my ph up above 8.04, w/o raising my kh. Also, My calcium simply will not rise above 380.

What do I do. I am afraid I am going to start losing everything. A large water change?

·
Registered
568 Posts
doesn't baking soda try to bring your pH to 8.0? that wouldn't help at all. when my corals are sick or looking bad i do a 20-30% water change ASAP. that will help your pH as well. i saw that you had your salinity at 1.025 is that temperature compensated? having it at 35 ppt (or a temperature compensated 1.026) usually helps get your parameters in shape.
look at the links in "my tank" below for info on temperature comp. of salinity.

good luck.

bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I actually did a 30% water change, which has helped.

PH went up to 8.1, lights been off for a while and at 8.06 and the kh is down to 9. Big change - hope it holds. My cal and mag are now low, but I will try to adjust slowly.

Someone mentioned to me that my problem may be related to my live rock decomposing and giving of a type of acid (sulfer related I think he said). Not sure if this could really effect my ph, but I guess it is possible - not sure how to solve that problem though.

Anyway, I did not now about the ppt table. Interesting, according to my temp of 79, I should lower my salt from 1.025/1.026 to 1.023. I will start that process slowly, hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a similar problem, my pH was even a little lower. At Spanky's suggestion I started agitating the sump pretty heavy and after a week the pH has gradually risen so I hit 8.2 by end of the light cycle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts