The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what types of corals can be kept in low light conditions?because at the moment i have flourecent lighting. on the internet it says that some corals can be kept in low lighting. like sponges, gorganians, and some soft corals.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no it is not pc lighting, just regular flourecents. the brand is power glo and they are 15w for a 55gal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so when doing research on some corals that i like and they say low lighting that means they can go in my tank?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i have 2 but the max the ballast can hold is 22watts but i cant find anything over 15 for an 18in bulb.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
That is real low Light, I would try to get some more ligthing and better type of bulbs. PC's are nice and You may be able to pick some up at a good price out of the paper, But even then You want to get new bulbs, most the time people never change them out and when you buy the lights they are over a year old.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I would definitely look into getting better lighting. When they say low lighting, I think of 3 watts per gallon. The PC lighting is good for that. Although, I am a believer that PC lighting can do a lot more if you have the right amount.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Just checking. 15 watts is the highest I have found in the 18 in. My 20 gallon fowler uses that bulb. I agree you might want to upgrade eventually. Mushrooms will definately work but they spread like wildfire!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts