The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya gang,

After a few months of – to say the least - hard thought, I’ve decided it’s time for me to take a bit of a break from reef tanks. :bawling: I’ve been torn over the idea for quite some time. Really, the bottom line is that I don’t feel like I’m getting out of it what I need to (and used to) in order to justify the investment of time, space and money – not to mention the increased humidity in my house! I feel like I’ve had the experiences I hoped for when I started. Right now, there are other avenues of hobbies/life I feel I’ve been kept from, and I really need a break from babysitting corals. :eek:
I would like to offer my livestock to TCMAS before doing any shipping. Once the livestock and rock is gone, I’ll be selling off most of the equipment and the tank. Many of the corals have been with me for many years – at least ¾ of them from frags. A few have even been with me since I started 8 years ago. Needless to say this isn’t easy for me….but it's time.
<O:p
I wanted to pick a weekend day where I would be open to having folks come over for livestock. Right now, I’m thinking Saturday August 12 at noon. I have over two dozen pieces that I would consider “beyond frag” in size – and quite a few at or approaching show-size pieces. A few of these corals were obtained within the club, but the amount of growth they’ve had since that time makes me feel justified selling them. Most of those were either traded for or bought anyway. I hope this “sale” doesn’t offend anyone, but this is along the lines of a “getting out of the hobby” sort of thing. Regardless, for most of these your money could be made back two or three-fold in frags in no time if that’s your thing. How’s that for a selling point?
To gauge interest, the following post will contain a list of the best of the “non-frag” corals and initial asking price. The number of years I’ve had them is in parentheses. If you want pictures, you can find pics of most of them in the “growth” section of my website (see sig link below). Of course, they all look better in person and have grown since the most recent pics.:) Also for the record, the tank is completely free of coral “pests” – guaranteed. Never had AEFW or Monti nudis. No red bugs for well over 2 years....(continued)

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here they are, with the 20%-off TCMAS price already taken off. ;)

1. large multicolored A. plana - $100 (1.5 years)
2. large blue-tip A. tenuis - $80 (3)
3. med bright green A. rosaria - $70 (3)
4. huge dense pink birdsnest - $100 (3)
5. large ultra purple formosa</ST1:p - $80 (plus a couple larger frags @ $20-$30) (3)
6. huge bright green hammer (12”+) - $125 (8 years!)
7. med green A. humilis - $40 (2)
8. med-small turquoise stag (x2) - $40 each (1.5)
9. med purple Astreopora - $50 (1)
10. med-large purple A. prostrata - $100 (5)
11. “flower” anemone (pretty rare) - $75 (5) you’ll probably have to take the whole rock
12. med-small Turbinaria reniformis (yellow) - $40 (4)
13. small pink/green Echinophyllia - $50 (1)
14. med orange Fungia plate - $40 (3)
15. med-large Platygyra (maze brain) - $50 (3)
16. med green open brain (Trachyphyllia) - $40 (5)
17. med Monti danae (yellow/brown/purple) - $50 (1.5) – probably a big chunk of rock with it.
18. largish Purple plating monti with bright purple polyps - $80 (3)
19. huge brown/green tips Pocillopora damicornis (grapefruit size) - $80 (3)
20. med-small hot pink Pocillopora - $80 (3)
21. med Pachyseris (elephant skin) - $50 (5)
22. med multicolored Acan echinata (nothing too special) - $40 (1)
23. small frogspawn - $30 (fragged from my original 7 year old)
24. med-large green with purple polyps plating Monti - $40 (3)
25. med-large brown/purple rim Monti cap - $30 (3)
26. med wild brown/green corallite Acro - $40
27. med fluorescent green Pectinia - $40 (2)
28. small brown/green “alien-eye” type Chalice - $30 (6 mos)
29. huge colony of Eunicea gorgonian - $30 (many years)
30. very large colony of light pink Acro millepora - $50 (6)

Here is a list of some more “frag-sized” pieces:

31. Atlantis blue vermiculata 1.5” - $50 (paid $80)
32. Atlantis pink and green nasuta 1”+ - $50 (paid $80)
33. smaller dark green table-y Acro (but not a true table) - $30
34. small green/orange axial corallite skinny Acro - $40
35. small orange cap - $20

There are more, but this list comprises the healthiest of the lot. Others will be sold “in person” – as in make me an offer – or fragged. It will also be up to the buyer if they want just the coral or a chunk of live rock it is attached to (or the whole piece if reasonable). I want to keep butchering to a minimum, but will consider a few frags off each if no one takes the colony. There certainly won’t be any charge for the rock if you decide you want whatever is practical to keep the colony from getting damaged.. One caveat is that a bit of the rock has pompom Xenia</ST1:p on it, so you might want to take a toothbrush to it if you don’t want that in your tank. I haven’t noticed it to bother any of the corals.

fishies: (probably have to wait until corals are mostly gone)

med powder brown tang - $40 (1)
coral beauty (has never bothered corals) - $20 (5)
black saddleback clown - $30 (1)
bicolor blenny - $20 (4)
female mandarin dragonette - $20 (5)
5 green chromis - $20 for all 5 (2 months)

To reiterate, these prices are not absolute by any means, but they are what I’d “like” to get for them – meaning, I’m not in “fire sale” mode yet. They are also less than what they would fetch from a commercial internet entity selling captive-raised coral. If it comes to a no-go at rock-bottom price, some fragging will be considered. I don’t want folks leaving empty-handed, but being that I’m getting out indefinitely, I can’t just give them away. I hope that’s understandable to everyone.
And again, I’ll have alot of very decent prices on equipment once I can drain the tank. I’m open to reserving it for you if you express interest when getting corals. As of now, it will first be open to those who come for corals. This will happen Saturday August 12 – [email protected] and I’ll reply with directions. I will be out of town until Sunday 8/6, so I won’t be able to respond until then. Feel free to state your interest in corals below. If more than one person wants it, highest bidder (or first responder if equal) takes it. Whoever makes it on the 12<SUP>th</SUP> will get first dibbs on the stuff. If you can’t make it that day but are interested in something, I’ll let you know if it’s still available after that day if you express interest.

So that’s it – spare me your disbelief and plan on coming to help me out and get some sweet stuff!! :agree: <O:p

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sorry to hear Graham. But, I can understand your thinking. Hopefully, it won't be to much of a break. I know you have some great pieces. You have been a good person to have in the club. You are great at getting people thinking about subjects. Good and bad.

PM sent

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
sorry to see this beautiful tank coming down
i take this
30. very large colony of light pink Acro millepora - $50 (6)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
graham are you selling the colonies of the ones i was gonna buy form ya? if so LMK i'll take em! i don't know there names =(

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rihanssu,

Yes, everything is going. :)

I know you wanted the turquoise stag, tenuis and rosaria. mtfatwork already wanted the tenuis, but highest bidder will take it (or you can split it) if multiple people want the same one. You also wanted a frag of the multicolored acro, which is not listed and I will be fragging ($10/frag), since parts of it seem to have succumbed to being too close to the gorgonian. :(

So that would be numbers 3 and 8, plus #2 if you and Mary want to work something out...or offer more than the asking price. :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
sweet!! i'll take that stag and the rosaria i'll finagle a peice of the tenius later ;)

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
I would be interested in this:

15. med-large Platygyra (maze brain) - $50 (3)

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Graham I am surely going to miss you:cry:. Now I am going to have to argue with myself:lol: ;) Don't be a stranger and I hope your break isn't very long.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear you're taking a break. I'd be interested in growing this out some more until you come back and want a frag :)

(BTW- what is the approx size?)

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HermitSolo said:
(BTW- what is the approx size?)
I think I should have listed that more as a small-med. It's about 4" long by 2" wide, but there was a bit of die-off in the middle where it became shaded by another coral. There is no recesssion. It is actively growing outward in all directions from the "shaded" portion.

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
redwinger said:
Graham I am surely going to miss you:cry:. Now I am going to have to argue with myself:lol: ;) Don't be a stranger and I hope your break isn't very long.
:)
I'm sure I'll still need to tend to my "virtual reef tank" from time to time. ;)

Now if y'all would excuse me, I'm on my way to see if I can get in and out of the Keys before Tropical Storm Chris earns hurricane status... :eek:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts