The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 220 Gallon Reef Looks Great Except For The Layer Of Ugly Brown Crap On My Sand. I Have 230ibs Live Rock,good Uv,2 900gph Pumps,2 Canister Filters Filled With Chemi-pure That Also Help With Flow,2 Power Heads For More Flow,not An Expensive Protien Skimmer But Seems To Foam Ok,alkalinity A Little Low But Getting Better (buffering With Kent Marine Pro Buffer Dkh)phosphates 0,ammonia & Nitrites 0,nitrates @ 20, Calcium 5-600 ,i Have About About 50 Astro Snails,50 Nassiurs Snails, 30 Or 40 Med Blue Legged Hermits, Several Corals, 8 Or 9 Sm To Med Fish,i Cannot Figure Out Why I Cannot Get A Handle On This It Looks Terrible, It Comes Off In Sheets, Ill Remove It Only To Have It Come Back In A Day Or Two.i Have Fine Sand Anymore Flow Ill Probably Have A Sand Storm. What Am I Missing?i Need Help Please Give Me Any And Or All Help Possible Im Starting To Get Frustrated With This Hobby And I Really Want To Enjoy It. Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
714 Posts
several of the bleneies will stir and clean the sand. You could look into a sea cucumber also, they live off of crudy sand.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If it comes off in sheets it sounds more like Cyno Bacteria. I would increase skimming by making it wetter cut back on feeding

Maybe others may chime in and have somemore input

Jeff

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Are you using RO/DI? I could possibly be diatoms which are fed from silicates in your water. I have well water, which I tested with a silicate test...results were off the chart. After using RO/DI and silicate removing media, the diatoms went away.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Hi there, sorry to hear about the frustration you're having.

How old is your tank? A diatom bloom is pretty normal early on, as is a cyano bloom. They often burn themselves out pretty quickly (note that this is a relative term) if that's what you're experiencing.

Otherwise, I would also wonder about silicates - RO/DI water is a good thing.

Good luck,
Danielle

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
What is your alk level??? Salinity (and how do you measure it)? pH (ditto)? how do you supplement your calcium? Do you use RO/DI or tap water? Is your local mains water hard? How many corals are in your system or is this a FOWLR tank? How did you measure your Calcium (brand of kit), and do you measure it on a routine basis?

What husbandry routines do you perform routinely? which routines do you perform occasionally? how often? What cleanup crew do you employ for your substrate? How often do you feed, and what do you use to feed the tank, the fish, the corals? Do you have any shells in or on the substrate? Does your system have the rock on the substrate? Do you have any targeted circulation for the areas at the substrate level? How do you export nutrients from your system?

What kind of lighting do you use? how long have you had your system, and how old are the bulbs?

Do you do water changes, how often, and what salt for ASW? Any carbon use? What brand? same for Phosphate removers. If you have a RO/DI filter, how is it set up, how much do you make a week, and how old are the cartridges?

Do you keep any macroalgae? Do you have a sump? A refugium? If so, how do you run it?

Lots of questions, the answers will tell us much about what may be your problem with the tank.

Looking forward to your response :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks For Trying To Help Me , Sorry It Took So Long To Get Back To You. Ihope This Answers Most Of Your Questions 1. Alk At 2.5 Meg,trying To Raise With Kent Marine Pro Buffer Dkh 2. Ph Good 8.2 3. Calcium Seachem Reef Bulder 4. Use Ro/di Water, Cartridges Yr Or So Old, Test 0 For Nitrates And Phosphates 5. I Have 8-9 Corals And 9 Sm Fish 6. I Use The Master Test Kit 7. Clean Crew Is 50 Or So Med Blue Leg Hermits, 40-50 Nassiurus Snails, 30 Astros, 1 Fighting Conch. Soem Empty Shells On Substrate 8. I Feed The Corals Phyoplanton And Micro-vert 1x Week,fish Brine,flake,zooplankton 2x Day. 9. 230lbs Live Rock On Sand 10 Good Circulation I Think. 11. Protein Skimmer By Aqua Clear, Seems To Work Ok. 12. 25 Gal Sump,no Macros Or Refugium. 13. Use Chemi-pur In 2 Canister Filters. 14. I Change 20-25gallons Of Water Every 10 Days Or So, Nitrates Seem To Stay At 2o No Matter What. Hopfully That Helps You To Help Me. This Seems To Be My Biggest Problem, From What I Read This Seems To Be Cyanobacteria, All I Know Is It Looks Horrible And I Cannot Get Rid Of It, Thanks In Advance For Your Help

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It Comes Off In Sheets, Ill Remove It Only To Have It Come Back In A Day Or Two

This is why I said Cyno

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Pretty much have to say the same as everyone else that posted ,. Cyano,new tank,,,one yr on the ro/di(might want to change out at least the DI cartridge if in doubt)
i change my RO membrane every year,and the pre/carbon/DI every 6 months,,,
,,,,,new tank,diatoms, cyano, all go together,, time will help most times, but you have to help out with good ro/di too,,,
go light on food n lighting for a bit also,,might slow it down a bit;
water movement,,,,do what you can without a sandstorm,,,,,
siphon out the crud as it appears,,,
and in time , you will see a improvement,,,,
hth

·
Registered
272 Posts
How much (how deep) sand substate do you have? Do you have any noticeable life in sandbed like worms or pods?

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
salthead said:
But My Tank Is About 2 Years Running, Is That Considered New?
New,no,,,,Mature,no also,, IMO
couple of things i caught as i reread your tank stats that raised a eyebrow,,,,
2x daily feeding of the fish:
Calc is 5-600:
Any more water movement, and you'd create a sandstorm:

IMO, the 2x feeding is a might too much. you might be feeding in quantity in correct portions,and not cause a problem. but human nature ,and past experience show that chances are there mught be too much food given,,,,
only a thought,don't bit my head off,,
my reef tank fish would eat every 1/2 hr if i gave them food, but they also do fine if i feed them , on average every other day,,,once. they spend the rest of the time grazing off the tank and rockwork,,,
Like was mentioned ,calc is pretty high,and might skew other water parameter readings,,,
The sandstorm,,,when sand becomes "biocoated" it tends to not get stirred up as easily as out of the bag sand,,,and kind of stays down,instead of "poofing" up...yes it will scatter/move easily,,but established sand does not as much.
Only trying to help you here,,,and offering suggestions to find a fix.
A test of your RO/DI product water might be a good idea also,,,
Hang in there, we will try to do our best to help you out with your problem

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I see your responses. but this is the middle of the work week (a bad one) for me, I will pot some thoughts Fridy if the issues are not addressed in the mean time.

biggest issue so far is the age of the filters in the RO/DI, prolly ned to replace all the carts now., as the carbon will have saturated and may be allowing chlorine to reach the membrane in the tfc at this point (NOT GOOD).

Feeding this much is an issue, as is a heavy bioload in a reef tank this size. Age is not really an issue, but maturity is. Phosphates are up too high, and with a sand bed in a system of this size, continued phosphate levels at this rate of feeding will quickly saturate the sinking capacity of the sand bed.

Phosphates are driving you tank issues at this point. Use a phosphate remover based on iron hydroxide products, do weekly waterchanges by siphoning up the cyanobacteria sheets. This will export much of the phosphate over time, but may take a few months. Check some of the cyanobacteria threads in the archives, a few goods ones there.

Skimming?

More Friday, start with changing the carts and making newA SW every week with the clean new cartridges for the RO/DI. Make the siphoning event include blowing the rock for detritus, and do the waterchange by removing the cyanobacteria via siphoning and heavy wet skimming.

HTH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts