The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the week end I was doing some maintenance on my overflow area and I installed a new bulk head fitting. The fitting was not correct and there must have been some debris under the rubber seal and it leaked when I cranked up the pump. Unfortunately, I can’t unloosen the fitting. It’s under water and I can’t get a grasp on the tightening nut.

Does anyone have an idea on how to loosen this monster? Is there a tool I can use?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Not sure if this is your problem or not -- maybe I just don't understand it but ------

when using bulkheads the nut must be on the outside. The flat part is on the inside (wet side) and the nut is on the outside (dry side). The gasket is on the inside (wet/flat side).

If you install the bulkhead in reverse it will leak --- end of story.

Doesn't help you to get the bulkhead off but it might help you to re-install so it doesn't leak next time. I only say all this cause it sounds like the nut is under water which would be a bulkhead installed incorrectly. (installed in reverse)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charles,
you are absolutly right. I put it in "backwards" to expiriment on a different configuration. The expiriment did not work so I was trying to take it apart, but I could not break the nut and the tools I had could not grasp the nut either.

I will try and remove all the water and try to remove it again when it is dry.

Terry

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You might be put a large ziptie around the nut. The little knob would give you something to grab w/ a smaller pair of pliers.

I have also used a small pair of seetmetal/flashing shears to cut a bulkhead off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.