The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, one of three mushrooms on a single rock came loose and I thought died. Two days ago I saw it high in the tank on a rock. Next day it was gone. I couldn't find it again until last night, in the sand at bottom of tank.

First, I didn't know they moved around that much. Thought they found a good spot and stayed put.

Second, do I ned to try and attach it someplace or let it do it on its own? It has certainly thrived since it broke loose. Last time I saw it, it was about the size of a quarter. Niw is probably 2" in diameter.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I place my loose mushrooms in a clear plastic container which contains a few small pieces of live rock rubble and crushed coral "gravel" along the bottom. This way the mushroom gets some slow flow and will attach itself to either a piece of LR or crushed coral in a week or 2. Then I either glue the little LR or gravel to another piece of LR in one of our tanks or it becomes a frag to trade.

It's natural for a mushroom to detach itself from a piece of LR. Usually when it's in an overcrowded area, it deals with the situation by detaching itself to find a less crowded area.

Bob

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Naw, I would leave it be, unless you want it somewhere else. What is it attached too? If you want to move for aesthitic reasons you can but if you don't mind it where it is and it has thrived I would leave it be.
Ray

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I find that if I keep it in an area of low flow, it stays put and attaches. That's why I use a container...it slows the flow way down.

Bob

·
Registered
808 Posts
shrooms are known to move around if the flow is too high. try a med to low flow area and wrap bridal netting around it keep it in one place until it mounts itself. you can get netting at walmart. about $1 for 1 yard.

HTH
Brandon & Kelly

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Bob, are you talking about using a container like over the shroom?
No. The clear container just sits on the bottom of my tank... on the substrate. The bottom of this open container sits on the substrate. The container is weighed down by the gravel and small LR rubble so it doesn't drift due to the strong flow in the tank.

The container is ~ 3" tall which is enough to break the effect of the flow in the tank for the mushroom which is sitting on the rubble/gravel which is inside the open container.

I know a picture would explain this so much better. (A picture is worth a thousand words.)

I hope this helps.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.