The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a house to get out of my apartment thus the tank liquidation, anyhow . . . . .

I am a single custodial father, and MY grandmother watches my daughter while I work . . . . . . .

So my daughter has a lot of friends and stuff in that neighborhood. I was talking to my grandmother's neighbor and he is a single elderly gentleman, He has to use a walker, and has one of those motorized carts. Samantha gives his lil doggie a treat everyday etc etc. It seems his kids are really pushing hard for him to go into assisted living.

I know my grandmother and I and my daughter will truly miss him, I snow blow his driveway everytime I do my grandmothers.

So he has to sell his house. The thing is, he is not ready to go into assisted living yet. I told him to make sure he was ready, and I think around winter time he will be ready. He is really thinking about it hard, anyhow, he is going to sell me his house. Two car garage, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, finished basment house. Right next door to my grandmother, the bus drops the kids off on that corner, nice lil garden, corner lot. Permanent siding, he is a retired carpenter, so the house is awesome!

Thus we save realtor fees and so forth! It is like a godsend, no pressure to move right away, for either of us, just a understanding between us that I will buy his house and one less headache for him when he moves on this winter!

·
Administrator
47,637 Posts
Go through a proffessional, Buying a home is way to complicated to leave anything to chance :( Sux but ya gotta do it to protect everyone involved.
Good Luck

·
Administrator
47,637 Posts
That might work, depending on the laws in your area. Find an atterney that specializes in real estate law,Its a complicated area and you need someone who specializes to avoid surprises. you will prolly need the inspection to qualify for financing thru a bank or whatever.
Then you have to make sure the title is clean, no liens against it, taxes are all in order. Gotta have insurance, etc
Its just way to complicated any more unless you have the cash to buy it outright.
With interest rates what they are now, it might be a good time to start the buying process and maybe defer him vacating, but again everyone needs to be on the same page and it all has to be in writing to protect you

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
look into getting a buyers agent. that is what we used. we found the house and everything, she did help in finding houses for us, but we found the one we bought on our own. the buyers agent knows what is needed next; inspectors, extra taxes, attorneys. they will keep track of all of that for you, and make sure you are not forgetting anything. it is not quite like buying PH at the LFS.:D

G~

·
Administrator
47,637 Posts
Geoff any ideas on the cost of that option vs a regular Real Estate agent, or a R E attorney?
Its a scary venture first time unless someone knows someone in the biz to guide them. Its so freaking complicated and the potential for disaster if not done right is down right scary:(

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stoney, I don't know about the R/E laws there, but I do work in a R/E office here. Get a realtor. It is for not just yours, but also his protection. People that do for sale by owner very often even under the best of conditions, end up in court because of lack of disclosure, forgetten paperwork, the list goes on........
Good luck, Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts