The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody! I am a former saltwater hobbyist,who is looking to getting back into the amazing hobby. I had a 55 gallon fowlr and live sand tank about a year ago,for about a year and a half,and had to tear it down due to insufficient heating and algae problems :(. I did not want to tear it down,but did not want to lose everything that i had either,so we took it down. We took the live rock out and put it in a tote on our porch to use later since we did not want to throw it out due to how expensive the rock can be and i grew partial to my beautiful rocks haha. They have not been in any saltwater since then so i know that technically they are not live anymore,but with a few new "live" live rocks,i am hoping that we can bring them back to life, So i have a few questions for u. 1. should i re cycle and cure the rocks before i put them back into my tank? 2. We had to part with the fifty five gallon and now have a nice 30 gallon with stand that we are going to use; but it was previously used for freshwater,so im wondering how we should clean it and get it ready for the new setup. 3. Since it is only a 30 gallon,i know it will have to be a nano saltwater aquarium,so im just wondering what are your suggestions for nano fish and invertabrates? Thanks for readiing and i hope to hear back from u soon :)

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I would cook the old rocks first. And then one of two pieces of LR should get stuff moving.

Did you treat copper or any other kind of meds when it was a FW tank? If not, some hot water and something to scrub the walls and such down will do fine.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Welcome back!!!

One, you probably want to cure and "purge" the rocks. Purging is just letting the rock "chill out" and let bacteria try and reduce any phosphate into detritus and then siphon out the phosphate laden detritus. Sometimes this process is called "cooking rock" but it requires NO HEAT. Just put the rock in good phosphate free water and give it time, the rocks will self purge after a cycle.

Connor is right, you just do not want that new tank to have been treated with copper or any marine invert will not survive in that tank. If you can find out, that would be good since a lot of fish medication has copper in it. Otherwise, you can rinse it out and you are good to go!

If you are looking for some good reads, check out the "Nano Jam" and the Geoff's RME threads linked in my signature below :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i have no idea if the tank had been introduced to copper at all,i got it from my grandma,and she had two freshwater bala sharks and a couple bottom feeders in it,and as far as i know she only used water conditioner in it. I could ask her and see. And as far as the rock being "Cooked" do i just let it set in plain filtered water? or filtered saltwater? and what would i use to clean the tank? I've heard just vinegar and water and i've also heard vinegar,water and a tiny bit of bleach.Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thank you,i will try it. We have a reverse osmosis filter that we used to make our saltwater with our last tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts