The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and saltwater tanks. I have experience with many freshwater fish, but none with keeping any saltwater fish. I have had guppies, cichlids, breeding crayfish, plecos, conch cats, ghost shrimp, bettas, goldfish, and the largest tank was a 20 gallon. Where does that put me in relation to keeping a marine tank? I have done what I believe to be enough research on what I hope to get.

What I plan to get is a 75 gallon at the smallest, but larger if possible. I want to keep a grouper that would get no larger than a foot and a half. With it, I would like to keep a painted lobster, but I know that grouper do eat crustaceans. Is this a possible combo, or should I just trash that? I'm only planning on a FOWLR tank, so I know that I will need live rock. To keep a smaller grouper, is a protein skimmer necessary? Also, if keeping those two together is possible, what equipment is a must, and what is not? Thank you in advance.

Also, I've been on forums before, so I know that new people post in the wrong places a lot, so sorry in advance of that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome. I'm sure other more experienced people will be able to help you but I'm guessing a fish that big in a 75 is not a good fit. Probably would need 180 or larger.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome. I'm sure other more experienced people will be able to help you but I'm guessing a fish that big in a 75 is not a good fit. Probably would need 180 or larger.
Agreed. You should check out www.liveaquaria.com and check out the grouper section - it'll tell you the minimum tank size you need for the fish you're interested in.

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and saltwater tanks. I have experience with many freshwater fish, but none with keeping any saltwater fish. I have had guppies, cichlids, breeding crayfish, plecos, conch cats, ghost shrimp, bettas, goldfish, and the largest tank was a 20 gallon. Where does that put me in relation to keeping a marine tank? I have done what I believe to be enough research on what I hope to get.

What I plan to get is a 75 gallon at the smallest, but larger if possible. I want to keep a grouper that would get no larger than a foot and a half. With it, I would like to keep a painted lobster, but I know that grouper do eat crustaceans. Is this a possible combo, or should I just trash that? I'm only planning on a FOWLR tank, so I know that I will need live rock. To keep a smaller grouper, is a protein skimmer necessary? Also, if keeping those two together is possible, what equipment is a must, and what is not? Thank you in advance.

Also, I've been on forums before, so I know that new people post in the wrong places a lot, so sorry in advance of that.
As ChiWing pointed out, a fish that large is probably not a good candidate for a 75g. I will add that lobsters are not usually great candidates either. They can be aggressive, get large, and I have heard of them eating small, slow fish and knocking over rocks. IMO, a protein skimmer will be necessary. My loose guideline is that tanks over 40g should have a skimmer. You will only need a cheap lighting fixture, as you do not plan on keeping coral; you just need whatever looks good to you aesthetically.

No worries on the specific forum, you're all good. When in doubt, post in General Reef Discussion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I will try to get the largest possible aquarium. I've looked at LA before along with other places.

Monkey- I'm not completely sure yet, but ideally not too expensive and not more than a foot and a half. Cephalopholis formosa would be the largest.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
turn and RUN away from saltwater. see i just saved you $5,000 :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I personally think a protein skimmer is a great addition to any size tank. I run it on my 29 gallon and it pulls out dirty gunk every single day and that is with a cheap, internal air stone skimmer.

Like I once read here, just think if the skimmer wasn't there to remove that junk, it would remain in your tank with your fish and that cannot be a good thing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Polleni Grouper, (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+1729&pcatid=1729) is recommended for a tank size of at least 250 gallons.

The Miniatus Grouper (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+149&pcatid=149) is recommended for a tank size of 18" gallons, and reaches 14 inches.

The Blue Line Grouper (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+141&pcatid=141) is recommended for a tank of 250 gallons, at a maximum of 1' 2".

Blue Dot Grouper (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+138&pcatid=138) 250 gallons, 1' 4".

There are some options for you. I didn't list the ones recommended for more than 250 gallons. I personally like either the Blue Line Grouper or the Miniatus Grouper.

Sorry if some of these are too big for you. I was just listing them off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your suggestion of Blue Line or Miniatus. I think those will be the contenders as they seem pretty common and not too expensive, although the Blue Line is a little cheaper and looks better imo.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Not at all! If you have the ability to do something that size, I say go for it. They always say bigger is better around here. :) Just do lots of research first, there's a lot of money that goes into a system that size.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Blue Zoo Aquatics says that that The Blue Line Grouper has a minimum tak size of 75 gal. Do you agree with that, or do you think that is completely false?

·
Registered
212 Posts
A. 75 gallon tank is 4' long, if I am not mistaken. And I think it has a width of...18" or something like that. No idea about the height, but a 1' fish living in an aquarium 4x it's size won't be very happy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts