The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking for best tank prices in Atlanta Area

Hey Gang,

Well, so far, I've accumulated a 90 rr and a 168 rr. The 90 is a bit small for my needs, and the 168 is a bit odd shaped for my lights. I'm willing to compromise and set one up, but before I do, I thought I'd inquire about tank prices. I'm looking around for a 110,150, or 180. Something above a 100 gallons. Anyone know what kind of prices I should be striving for here Atlanta? I'd be happy with all-glass. Is it cheaper to order an acrylic tank or an interamerican tank? What do you guys suggest. The 168 I have will work, but I have to redo the glass bracing, and I thought I'd look around one more time before settling on this tank. :) If I can get a good deal around town, I may just sell these two off. Anyone ever order from Interamerican? Any local aquarium builders that do custom work?

·
Registered
921 Posts
tanks

I went to your website and found you have been quite sucessful. Congratulations, reeftanks, photography and webpage creation. Certainly nice to have you settle in Atlanta. Andy Daiss knew someone local who could build custom acrylic tanks. Andy runs www.myreef.com, so send him an e-mail. Obviously you realize how heavy glass gets in the size you want, but the other idea would be to visit Captive Bred Corals in Chattanooga very quickly as they are going out of business and may cut a deal.

All of our sponsors give 10% of retail so pick one close to you. And one of the folks on line might have just want you want for a bargain price if you can wait and read the posts for a while. Hope to talk to you at a meeting soon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi William,

Thanks for the complements and suggestion! :) I've been out of the loop for about 12 months, so it's good to get back into it. I hope to attend one of the reefclub meetings soon!

I may run up to Aquatic Wildlife this weekend for some live rock.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Hey Mark - you looking for new or used? I'm sure local sponsors (myself included) would be happy to bid, but it wouldn't be appropriate for us to post prices here.

William - Mark's been here a long time - he was one of the original reef club members - he's just been "on sabbatical" for a while :D

In fact, most of the green Bali slimer colonies around the ATL can be blamed on, er attributed to Mark :D I believe he had the "original" colony, or at least the colony that most of us can trace its origin back to...

Jenn

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jenn, I will pm ya about the tank. Hey I like the way you put it, "sabatical." :D I'm going to use that if it's ok by you.

Yup, I'm guilty of dumping those green slimers on you guys.:) It's amazing how fast that colony grows. What's even more amazing is to know that when I finally get this tank running, some of the frags will be from corals grown from corals I used to own. Kind of like a homecoming. It makes me a little verklempt to think about it.:D

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I think it's a testament to how coral propagation is a "safety net" of sorts - you can literally get the same colony back, in the event of a mishap!

Jenn

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol:) It sounds cheezy, but it's a good feeling to see all these pictures.

Yeah, when I first moved here, Rick O and I traded a lot of frags. And I'm amazed at the size that his colony has become. That guy has a blue thumb! Like Jennm said, this shows the true value of fragging corals and trading them to friends.

I'm pretty sad about the fact that I had to tear my tank down. I had a large fungia that would spawn annually that I wish I still had. It's good to know that at least some of the corals are still around for me to bum frags from. And the best part is, I can avoid some of the pitfalls I made in the past. I'm going to avoid the mushrooms, GSP, xenia, and other corals that were hard to keep from spreading. And hopefully I can avoid those red sps bugs this time. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts