The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions

I am converting my freshwater 38 gallon tank to a reef tank. I have purchased the Octopus 100 skimmer, and 30 lbs of marine sand (not live sand). I am thinking about purchasing 40 lbs of dead rock, and 10 lbs of live rock. I am planning on adding corals, and a few fish down the road. I am just wondering what what be a good light, as well as anything else I may need to purchase (maybe something to increase flow?).

Any tips would be great, as I am looking to get it cycling as soon as posible, I just am not sure what else I need to get going.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am converting my freshwater 38 gallon tank to a reef tank. I have purchased the Octopus 100 skimmer, and 30 lbs of marine sand (not live sand). I am thinking about purchasing 40 lbs of dead rock, and 10 lbs of live rock. I am planning on adding corals, and a few fish down the road. I am just wondering what what be a good light, as well as anything else I may need to purchase (maybe something to increase flow?).

Any tips would be great, as I am looking to get it cycling as soon as posible, I just am not sure what else I need to get going.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
As stated I in your other thread.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/-need-help-beginner-with-38-gallon-235602.html

You will need
Heater
Thermometer (the on tank thermometers are not too accurate)
return pump and Plumbing
overflow and Plumbing ( you can get tank drilled if not tempered or use hang on back)
material for baffles in sump
silicone for baffles
Live rock or dry rock
substrate (calcium based not silicate based)
Salt mix (I use Instant Ocean)
hydrometer or refratometer to measure salinity or specific gravity
salt water test kit to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph (The API Saltwater Master kit has all of these)
protein skimmer (not totally necessary but very helpful)

A turkey baster is good for blowing detritus off rock and target feeding.
A tooth brush is good for removing hair algae.

I think this a pretty good starting list.
Was this what you were after?

If you are moving in August I would just do research and build but not start to cycle as it will be harder to move once set up. And 4 months it would just really be getting going and not stable yet better to just spend your time putting it together and researching what you want to put in it.

In your previous thread you said you would be moving in August. I feel you will be saving yourself a lot of work by NOT starting your tank cycling until after you move.
You can build all of the plumbing and get everything fitted and wet tested. I would suggest not cycling as that will be a lot more to tear down and wet substrate and rock weighs more than dry. Plus there is always the chance that your tank will go through at least a mini cycle or complete cycle as a result of everything being torn down.
If you really want to get started as soon as possible that is fine.
I provided you with a list of items that should get you pretty well started.
If you want something to boost flow there are power heads available everywhere get one or more that will provide the amount of flow you want. It suggest by some here to have flow or 20 to 40 times tank volume.
As for the light how intense you go depends on what kind of corals you want to keep the type will depend on how deep your pockets are.
Decide what kind of corals and other livestock you want then research what light will give that.

Perhaps someone else can add to the list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jerry,

I am not making a sump, just getting the octopus 100 skimmer. I was looking for a suggestion for a good 38 gallon light. I don't have specific corals selected but I am willing to buy a good light, and could use some direction. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I've merged your other thread into this one. Please refrain from making multiple threads on the same topic.

For lighting, what is your budget? Kessil, Aqua Illumination, Maxspect and Raidon are all very nice high end lights. Reef Breeders has some nice lighting for reasonable pricing. Or you could go to eBay and search "Full Spectrum Reef LED" which will bring up a bunch of what we call the "Chinese black box" which is basically a Reefbreeders knock-off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking to spend around 200$ on lighting. Will the light complete my setup? I have the sand 40 lbs base 10 lbs live rock, a octopus 100 skimmer, and i am purchasing something to increase my flow.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Also im going to advise to go against the wait to setup your tank advice givin here. I will say i wouldnt get more then 1 or 2 fish though until after the move in august. The reason being at around 4 months it would be about the perfect time to disassemble your tank, swish out the detritus in the rocks and rinse out the sand (not with tap water, with ro/di saltwater only). This major cleaning will help cut down on alot of nutrients. By this time you will probably see alot of algae as well so you would wanna scrub that off (exporting more nutrients still) and in the end your tank should be in better shape then waiting to cycle it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
First thing you will need is a good source of RO/DI water. A trusted LFS may have this but it doesnt take long to pay for your own reef quality RO/DI system. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything else comes second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts